8. Momentary Summer

"The help is always there

"The help is always there."

My eyes remained transfixed at that adjacent wall while listening to the syllables coming out of Sugdha's lips. Though my face remained phlegmatic concealing away the thoughts ready to burst out, my fingers became the channel to do so. With my hands trying to reach out for the pearl necklace only to be met with a satlada ornament which made me retract my fingers, I was trying to retain my attention on the information she was divulging me with but all in vain.

Witnessing my sparse reactions Sugdha gave me a nudge trying to bring me out of my trance like state, subsequently succeeding in doing so.

"Did they get anything else except my bijou?" I asked while wrapping the loose end of dupatta around my fingers, entangling the ring with the embroidery sewn at the border which led to ruining an embroidered flower or two. My question was answered by a bowed head with a subtle shake confirming it with a small 'no' under the breath.

"Though they did succeed in subduing any rumor that might have been instigated against you." Sugdha added after a moment, perhaps trying to calm my nerves but this statement brought nothing as such.

"That's not enough. Am I the only suspect till now?" I enquired, by now my words came out hitched and the hold of my fingers around the end of my dupatta tightened.

"Rajkumari." Sugdha sighed and continued. "Whatever I know is from eavesdropping your mother's conversation with someone whose face was not visible to me. Before I could listen further regarding the case,"

She pursed her lips for some time and recommenced finding apt words. "Before I could listen any further, her highness noticed another maid peeking from the other junction of the corridor." She rephrased.

"Did someone notice you?"

"No Rajkumari, thankfully your mother only noticed the other maid but I am not sure about the other person." She answered quickly. After a long pause I just sighed casting my eyes down at the ring resting on my middle finger.

"Ask everyone to get back to the room. This conversation never happened." I said monotonously and got up from my place, striding towards the hammock that was swaying gently due to strong wind blowing. I laid down on it after adjusting the cushion on the side and with one swift motion tucked the wriggled end of my cloth under the long skirt whose end was loosely hanging by the edge of the swing.

Soon all my maids returned back to their station but the silence in the room was deafening.

Closing my eyes I tried to focus on the creaking sound emitted by the strained movement of the hammock. Marking my eyelids drooping, the maids proceeded to draw the curtains but were stopped by a wave of my hand.

"Rajkumari, the sunlight might strain your eyes." One of the maids tried to put up her point. On seeing no reaction out of me, she withdrew to her corner with soft steps.