21. Approaching Twilight

"The wintry palace breeze could at times make the rose wilt, a little warmth is required to save it

"The wintry palace breeze could at times make the rose wilt, a little warmth is required to save it."

"Help me out of these." I commanded Sugha as soon as I entered the room. By now, the sun was set and the obscurity of darkness started to creep out of the corners only to be warded by the flames of torches. 

The maids in my room together aligned to help me out of the pompous vestments that I had been wearing all day. Sure, the cloth was soft and luxurious but the feeling of cotton against the skin was far much better than some silken garment. If the heaviness of embroidery was not enough to repulse me at times, the heavy jewellery sure did the charm. I was used to these extravagant things but the difference between habit and desire were too stark for me to flick it away.

While I was trying to relax my sore muscles that were stiffened due to a long time standing in the same posture, the maids involved themselves in serving me and sought entertainment through their hushed whispers and gossip.

One particular maid was marvelling at a neckpiece that she helped me out with and whispered to the maid beside her, "Our Rajkumari is indeed too blessed to have a mother who pampers her to this extent."

Somehow, I restricted my urge to scoff and fiddled with the ring set on my finger. Encrusted with various stones, the jewellery shimmered underneath the scant lighting.

"I agree, not only does she have a doting mother, all her brothers cherish her too." The other maid whispered back and giggled. "I wonder which Rajkumar would have the guts to approach her. He would have to be valiant to face all the princes of Gandhar."

This got my attention and I couldn't help but smile a little before glancing at my reflection on the bronze mirror. Though it wasn't clear, I knew my cheeks were dusted with red. Perhaps, Sugdha noticed the change in my expression for she nudged me a little before arranging my hair.

"Yes, our princes cherish Rajkumari too much and I know they would never treat her like the prince of Mathura treated her sister. Poor Rajkumari Devaki, her brother imprisoned her." Someone butted in. It was no secret in the entire Aryavart that Rajkumar Kans was a very doting brother before that fateful day of her marriage. As soon as he got to know about his possible slayer, he forgot all his love for his sister and-

Shaking my head I tried to brush away the ideas that contrived due to that ominous statement and turned to look at the presumptuous maid who dared to utter these words. At the end of my line of sight stood Jasvi who pursed her lips on realising the gravity of her statement. Before she could speak anything further, I twisted my lips and sneered, "Mind repeating your statement?"

She shuddered at my tone and the apathetic expression splayed on my visage. Gulping slightly she shook her head and fell on her knees. The room turned dead silent and every eye was fixated either on Jasvi or the floor. No words were articulated by Jasvi who moments before this was being a blabbermouth.