22. Weighing Justice

"The words of the crown are the only justice, regardless of the culprit

"The words of the crown are the only justice, regardless of the culprit."

"Ra-Rajkumari," The poor woman stuttered, the wrinkles of her eyes stretched and the veins of her hands became more visible due to the clenched palms.

"Yes?" I nudged her to continue, quite nonchalantly.

"Why make her the pigeon when I am already here?" The familiar silvery voice called behind me, making me turn around but the smirk on my lips retained.

"You have perfect timing mother." My lips stretched. "I perceive the pests informed you about my sudden entourage, for they were the only ones that reside in this part of the palace."

"Might be."

"Well I did come to their part of the palace so can't com-"

"Why are you here?" She abruptly cut me off but stayed still in her place.

"To worship of course." I pointed at the trays that my maids were holding. For a few moments, no one said anything, just analysed their condition in the matter. The sunlight coloured half the sky with the tint of orange, marking the nearing end of Brahma muhurat.

"This is the back of the temple." She pointed.

"I am still nearby but what is your reason to be here mother?" I arced my brow and glanced at Poornima who was in my hindsight.

"You know it very well." She started walking closer to me but I didn't bother to move. "What do you want?"

"Just a few moments with Poornima, nothing else but I would be grateful if you could provide me with moments of your time. It is getting tougher every passing day to meet you." I answered. The source for the surge of my courage was an enigma to me.

"What if I say no?" She folded her hands and her eyes bore into mine. The heat of her gaze was enough to force me to look away and I sighed.

"I would meet her anyhow. I could be stubborn, you know." I mumbled and wrapped my arms around myself. It was a hoax, I knew that I wouldn't ever do that but I bluffed. It was now her turn to smirk and with a flick of her finger, she dismissed everyone present.

"You have half a nadika. Finish this up and come to my chamber. I reckon you have something to talk to me about." She uttered dismissively and left the place. The jingle of her anklets rang in my ears for a while, lost in words, I stared at her back.

"How was it like to sell your husband?" I questioned without looking at Poornima. My words were not sugar-coated, they were tired, especially after witnessing the flair and theatrics at the court, a drama on the pyre of my dear departed.

She didn't speak but when I faced her, her face remained calm as the water of some pond, placid. The eyelids were half-opened as if unamused and the previous meekness was lost. Perhaps it was yet another show. I wouldn't be astounded if that was indeed the case.