15. Salubrious Escapade

"She was innocent but you are family

"She was innocent but you are family."

The dew-covered grass brushed against my feet while walking side by side with my brother. The night sky was now sparsely visible with scant trees present in the area. The voice of crickets chirping resonated in the expansive slopes, while our measured footsteps tried to hold onto the slippery grounds. Dried leaves and branches hidden in lush green grasses crunched under our feet, at times poking or jabbing them but this wasn't enough to hinder our pace.

"It should have been somewhere here." My brother muttered while navigating his steps. His back was slumped and he prodded the ground ahead with a stick to ensure safe advancement.

"Are we lost?" I questioned and moved ahead, minding my steps. The antaria flared with the wind and the cold nights started wafting out chills. He shook his head but the slowed down pace contrasted his words.

"We should stop. It is dangerous to walk in hilly areas at night and this threat magnifies when the route is not known." I suggested it before halting. Though he looked reluctant, my brother decided to follow my words for once and stopped at his spot. He turned around but the darkness concealed his visage, preventing me from analyzing his expression.

"Stay here. Let me check out the route ahead, the chirping of crickets means the fall is nearby." He said and trotted towards the nearest tall tree. With quick techniques, he started climbing the tree. The darkness was too much to actually contemplate where he was amongst the dense branches of the tree but the small creaks and twitching of branches indicated his meticulous method.

"Got something?" I cried out on noticing no particular voice coming from the tree. What I got back was utter silence. The lack of answer created a swirl in my gut and the song of crickets now had another beat intervening in the symphony, the one of my heart. The cool breeze brushed past my ears and the murmuring was back, ringing my head with calls of help. I stayed at my place, stiff and unmoving, waiting for my company to return while avoiding these whisperings.

"Gandhari." A gruff voice called out from my back and I rough hand nudged my shoulder abruptly, giving me a spoon that was followed by a shudder from me. "Hey! Gandhari, what happened?" The voice smoothed down and I finally recognized it as that of my brother.

"Are you okay?" He rubbed my back, my lips wobbled trying to hold down a shaky breath that was threatening to escape. "Gandhari?" He questioned again or called out my name in soft whispers.

"It-" I stuttered, my throat felt parched and my jaws stiffened, refusing to utter anything out. I was back to my trance-like state but this time, it was in the presence of my brother. On getting no reaction from me, he rushed somewhere. The sound of his steps were clear amongst the whispers but the direction it was heading was incomprehensible as it felt like they were moving in every direction at the same time.

A blinding light suddenly struck my eyes, instantaneously bringing me out from my daze. I squinted my eyes and blinked them rapidly a few times before turning back my attention to the source of this illumination. The fire on a roughly made torch danced on the tip, emitting the lone source of light in this darkness. While one side was burning, the other side was held by my brother whose visage was outlined by lines of worry.