13. Stumbling on Enigma

"A wilted flower is only worth fodder

"A wilted flower is only worth fodder."

It was evening when we finally arrived at our destination, the palanquin holders by now looked exhausted. I deduced this from the slower pace of the sedan and the frequent jerks that were occasional on the initiation of the journey.

My eyes fluttered open when we halted and the herald announced our arrival. Peeping outside from parted curtains I saw a comparatively remote flat land tucked in the bosom of hills, nurturing various exotic flora and fauna in its comforting embrace. Soldiers were rushing to build the tents for our stay and servants were helping them out t accomplish the task as soon as possible. The position of the sun denoted the beginning of Girish muhurat, perhaps the first Nadika or a few kala earlier than the first Nadika.

Long sheets of the tent were sprawled on slopes, shrouding the grass underneath. The tall alder trees surrounded the area with nests of exotic birds, concealed within its branches and wildflowers nestled near the roots. Soon after the tents were ready and the fires were lit at the center of the arrangements. The chaos was subdued and everything was arranged conscientiously with soldiers taking up their positions and servants still looking after the minor failings that were required to spend a night. Sugdha extended her hand to help me out of the sedan that I gratefully accepted without any reservations. The stench of the sweat of palanquin holders who were standing at a very small distance was evitable and I pressed my palms lightly near my nose.

Taking quick steps to get away from the area, I rushed inside the tents. With minimal decorations, the tent looked worthy of staying but nothing compared to the grandiose of the palace. The earthen lamps were away from the walls, meticulously kept in an order that they light the place equally. The ground was evenly carpeted on the grassy floor with small terracotta and gold statues aligned in the corners and a golden vase kept on the table, glimmering under the soft light adding a different beguiling touch.

Noticing my arrival Jasvi arranged the cushions of the seating area that was positioned near the table. I took a seat and let the maids do their jobs. Sugdha too joined to help them out in their endeavors while I kept stretching out my body in exhaustion. With the constant back pain and blisters on my body, my appetite was nowhere to be found but I still managed to take a bite or two of the peeled orange that was kept in a bowl near me.

I sat on the settee still, the vase on the table that was filled with flowers of different hues but for some peculiar reasons looked empty to me. I stared at it for a long time and soon a bizarre idea struck me.

"Jasvi!" I called out my maid who was arranging the bed. "Get me the golden box," I commanded her that she followed without any questions. "Here it is, Rajkumari." She handed me the box and waited for further commands. "I am feeling parched." I hinted for my requirement of solidarity and she rushed outside to get me something to drink. For a long while I traced my index finger at the lid of the box, there was a small tremor in my palms but due to excessive jewellery I wore, they were hardly visible. Finally taking a deep breath I unlatched the lock and opened the box slowly. The box had a few trinkets, jewelleries and.. a dried rose wrapped in a red kerchief.