Chapter 45 - I promise

Aera's POV

Aera's POV

The news of Mr. Choi's discharge caught me off guard. Chul watched me, as my eyes were glued to the TV screen. I was shocked, because it was unexpected and I didn't know if this meant, that there was a new chance, that I could be allowed to talk to Jungkook again.

"I need to tell you something." Chul interrupted my thoughts.

I slowly turned my head towards him. He sighed and avoided my gaze.

"I met Jungkook a week ago. He was looking for you in front of the cafe. I gave him the address of my apartment, because he wanted to see you."

My heart clenched, as he mentioned his name. Even after weeks had passed, I was still not over him. I couldn't let go.

"Why didn't you tell me this earlier?" I asked.

"I wasn't sure if you would get in trouble, if you would see him again, even though he told me you wouldn't, and I didn't want to give you false hope. He never showed up here, so I figured he changed his mind or something." Chul explained.

"You thought, he didn't want to see me anymore." I mumbled, more to myself, than to him.

"Yeah, but I don't know. He was really determined to find you, when I met him. He said, that you were allowed to meet him again, because you're not working for HYBE Entertainment anymore."

My heartbeat sped up, as I imagined Jungkook searching for me. It meant, that he hadn't given up on me, but why hadn't he shown up to Chul's apartment yet?

"Mr. Choi said something else." I said.

"According to Jungkook, that's why the company wanted to fire him and apparently they did. He said, that you could date whoever you wanted to now, because the contract no longer applies to you." Chul explained, eyes locked with mine.

"It's not about the contract. Mr. Choi was afraid, that their sales would be affected if we kept dating, if another photo of us would surface on the internet."

Chul huffed.

"I don't think Jungkook cares about that."

"But I do. I don't want his image to be ruined."

"So you would rather be heartbroken for the rest of your life?"

Chul frowned. He didn't understand me, because he didn't know, that I was just trying to protect Jungkook by staying away from him.