Chapter Thirty-Three -The Parental Approval

Chapter Thirty-Three – The Parental Approval

All ten of us sat around the dinner table eating chicken noodle soup dedicated to Parker for recovering his cold. It was a Saturday night and everyone had done their own thing during the day. My schedule for the whole day consisted of being online looking at multiple prom websites for dresses that I could wear to Nathan’s dance and then at St. John’s Prep’s Spring Fling. I would have been doing this in a couple of weeks anyways if Nathan hadn’t asked me to go to his school’s dance, hence speeding up the process. But I wouldn’t have been looking for two dresses anyways only one. That is if my parents will let me go with Nathan.

I thought I had a good few options that I enjoyed that most. And by a few I mean eleven. Once I started looking it was dress after dress after dress. So many options! Like should I wear a long one, a short one, or those new dresses now that’s high low? Short in the front long in the back. Sparkly or non-sparkly? Floral print non floral print? Strapless, sleeves, one sleeve, over the shoulder, or spaghetti strap? As you can see a lot to consider in a short amount of time.

During dinner small talk was passed around the table about school, work, friends, parties, etc. I wasn’t really paying attention to any of it until Nathan’s name got called on.

“So Nate, anything interest happen to you this week?” Dad had asked while cooling off his soup.

Without even taking a quick look at me like I thought he would he went straight on talking, “Yeah actually. My friend back at home asked if I was still going to our semi prom. It’s like prom for juniors only smaller. I told him I had to ask you guys first.”

“That’s this month already? Wow, my prom must be soon then too.” Brody commented thinking about it. I wonder if Brody had a girlfriend or someone back at home to ask to go to his prom?

“Aw, that’s cute. When is it?” My mother asked.

“In a couple of weeks.” Nathan replied, “The problem is if I go it’s a really long trip. I might have to miss a day of school to get there on time because the dance is at night.”

“Were you planning on going by train?” Dad asked thinking about it.

“Yeah, I did my research and it’s a nineteen hour train ride, direct.” Nathan confirmed.

“What were you thinking of doing? Staying at home or Jo- I mean Brent’s house, right?” Brody asked correcting what seemed like a name.

Nathan tensed up then took a deep breath, “Probably stay at home.” He shrugged.

“Well you should go Nate. I’m sure your friends still want you there after you moved and all. It’s a memory you want to cherish.” My mother told him with a smile. Yes, one parental score! One more to go.

“Well Nate if that’s what you want to do then go ahead and do it. We’ll talk later about the important stuff.” Dad approved eating his soup. YES! AND IT’S GOOOOD!

I couldn’t help but have a smile on my face now. We were all set to go, well…. Nathan was all set to go that is. Me on the other hand, I’m in the dark about it.

“Are you feeling better, Parkie?” I asked watching him stir his spoon around the bowl feverishly.

He shrugged sniffing his nose as he leaned back in his chair. He only had taken a few bite of his dinner and it looked like he was going to pass out at the table.

“Why don’t you head on upstairs Parker and run the bath. Taken a warm bath and if you’re hungry come back down and finish your soup then you can go to bed and rest.” My mom told him brushing her fingers in his hair. The poor kid suffered going to school like that yesterday because we all thought he was faking it. Yikes. Yeah I do feel guilty!