Chapter Forty-Four- In The Clouds

Now I didn’t want to be the bitchy, heartless, brat that didn’t want to go on this east shore emergency getaway, but I was going to be that bitchy, heartless, brat for a good whole of the day. When I woke up the next morning and went to school Emily, Maddi, and Cam had reminded me about Spring Fling. It took me several moments to come back to my senses that I would be missing my Junior Spring Fling formal dance if I went to Boston with my family. I had been dreaming about this dance since the start of High School year. Hearing about it every year antagonized me; I couldn’t wait to go to my Spring Fling because each year it just got better and better.

Of course I thought it would have been a whole lot better when Brad and I were dating, but something as small as that wasn’t going to stop me from going. Originally, I hoped that Nathan would ask me since I went to his dance back at home, but since the roads have been rocky for us ever since then I kind of just been cool with riding solo; I mean this wasn’t prom! Lots of girls went alone or with other group of girls, sure the majority had dates but that wasn’t going to stop me from going!

At first, to be honest, when the girls reminded me I planned on staying and not going to the funeral. As the day went on I was sterner with my decision. But by the time we got home and I saw all five dull and sulking faces I felt guilty for even asking to ditch the trip. Some small part of me still urged on to stay and then a bigger part in me just got sick thinking about how selfish I was being. By the end of the night, when Rose had left and my mom was sitting in the kitchen with a cup of tea in her hands and her laptop searching for hotels I sat down next to her with a glass of chocolate milk.

“Hey honey.” She whispered patting her hand on my knee. I met her with a light grin and took a sip of my milk as she took a sip of her tea. She turned her head away from the laptop screen and looked at me, “Did you need something?” She asked resting her cup down on a black rubber coaster.

I sighed, pursing my lips to the side thinking about the nicest way to ask it without sounding heartless or bitchy, “Would you allow me to stay home so I can go to Spring Fling?” I asked. I think I would have taken any answer she’d given me. I guess I was trying to trick my brain into thinking that if she simply said no then I had tried my best.

She sighed and gave me a disappointed look, “Brooklyn, now that’s ridiculous on so many levels.” She started off getting me all defensive. Okay I might have said that I’d be cool with her saying no but I didn’t want her to go bashing on me for at least attempting to ask civilly.

“How is that ridiculous mom? Because you’re leaving me home alone? Please, you just let me stay with Nathan by ourselves in Washington for four days.” I argued trying not to give her sass or raise my tone.

“Well that’s different you weren’t really alone.” She continued.

“Yes, because leaving me alone with a boy is so much better, safer, and wiser.” I replied back sarcastically still trying to keep a calm voice.

“That’s true.” She admitted quietly dragging her eyes back over to the laptop screen, “I don’t want you to be home alone Brooklyn. You should come with us and pay your respects. I know you didn’t know her but it’s still good to go; just to show some respect and be there for the boys.”

I took a deep and loud breath silently admitting that she did have a point, “But mom is my first and last Spring Fling; I don’t get to go to another one. I’ve been waiting my whole High School life just for this day. I bought the dress and everything, like where else do I wear that dress to; nowhere that where. It’s just something I’ve been really looking forward to and now I have to drop my plans, my three years of patients and fly across the country to go to a funeral to a lady that I don’t even know. I know that sounds mean but what about me when did I ever get a say in this.” I closed my eyes and propped my elbow on the table and rested my head in my hand. When did I ever get a say that I wanted this life with five extra boys? God gave me two to handle and that was a load at first; there was no agreement or contract that in sixteen years I’d have five boys living with me and spin my life all around.