SEVENTEEN - WORDS

𝙒𝙤𝙧𝙙𝙨 ( 𝙖𝙘𝙘𝙞𝙙𝙚𝙣𝙩𝙖𝙡𝙡𝙮 𝙨𝙖𝙞𝙙 )

"Do you always work in darkness?"
Levi set down a tray with two cups of tea, grumbling at the sight of darkness Y/N sat in.
"Mostly. I suck at matches and my lighters don't last forever."
He pulled the box of matches off the table, lighting a candle for them.

"Living in darkness isn't preferable."
Sitting beside her as she looked into a microscope, Y/N shrugged, "it's fine."
Nudging her arm, she turned to find him holding out a cup.
"Oh, thanks."
"I already put sugar and honey in it."
"Really? Thank you."
Y/N took a quick sip, adjusting her sample, "titan skin cells don't have too strange of properties. In fact, I'd say it's really similar to ours."
"Is that so? Guess Hange's theory sticks."
"Maybe that's why I was so off. I'm sorry for cutting that mission so short."

Levi placed his hand atop her wrist, "don't be."
"They were once people. How could I have put it through that pain?"
"There's nothing you could've done for it. For someone who hates blame, you put a lot on yourself."
She gave a quick laugh, returning to her tea.
"Them being humans doesn't explain why they react to my blood. Non-titans have touched my blood and been fine."
"I wish I could help you."
"I wish I could help me. This type of science is advanced. Genes and DNA...jeez what if it's in my DNA? My mother and I were the only ones—"

He tilted his head, "so it's just a family trait?"
"Maybe. People born to combat titans? I don't know—it's stupid."
"Y/N," he scoffed, "you act like you're incompetent. Not understanding something isn't the end of the world."
"Could be."
"Uh-huh."

She leaned her head back, taking a deep breath, "Levi—my life—this world, it's gotten more confusing than ever. I'm suddenly on our enemy's wish list and my mother and I are government secrets. It's too much for me."
Y/N pushed her microscope forward, slumping her head on the table, "if I had known my life would be like this, I would've slept in."
Trost. Levi knew that event replayed in her mind so often it hurt.
"I am very glad you're here."
Her eyes burst open, head raising at his words.
"Your—compliance has been nice. You make a good—scout."