Chapter 7

Back to Raven's POV

I was in English class when the rumors started. Both good and bad.

Elijah and Jessica hadn't shown up for class. I just assumed they were off making out somewhere, like most couples do. But before the English lesson started, I overheard Jessica's friends saying that she hadn't posted anything on Instagram that morning or even responded to any of their snaps, which I rolled my eyes at. Typical popular high school girls.

English and Social Studies went by with no sign of Elijah or Jessica. Everyone kept wondering where they were, and apparently, Jessica hadn't been answering any of her friend's calls.

This wasn't the only "Drama" going on though. Apparently many of the girls had gotten the courage to ask Axel out. I was really surprised to find that he had rejected every single girl. Then the possibility that he might already have a girlfriend or maybe even a boyfriend filled my mind.

I kept to myself during lunch, like I always do. Although I didn't go outside. That was mostly due to the fact that it felt like negative fifty degrees, even though the snow had completely melted away during the night. (And yes I'm exaggerating. I despise cold weather)

I had textiles after lunch, so after stopping off at my locker I walked to the class early and just hung out outside the door until the teacher let me in.

Jessica is registered in my textiles class. I usually stay as far away as possible from her due to the occasional beatings. Luckily we only have PE and textiles together and we have never been paired together for anything.

I sat down at my seat in the second row from the back of the class and got all my necessary equipment out. I then heard a few quiet gasps around me and turned to what everyone was looking at.

I was completely shocked to see Jessica walk in, looking like an absolute wreck.

"Sorry I'm late, Mrs. Wood." Jessica looked as though she had been crying quite a bit.

I wonder what happened, slightly feeling bad. Don't get me wrong, I absolutely despise both of them, but I'm no monster. It's also kind of in my nature to feel things for people when something bad happens. Even if those people deserved it.

Right when Jessica sat at her assigned seat with her friends, they all broke out in loud whispers asking where she had been.

After Jessica managed to shush them she answered their questions. "It's Eli. He's in the hospital. I went to go see him this morning, and he looks really bad. The doctors said that he had fallen down the stairs, or something. They also said that they're not sure if he's gonna wake up. He had bruises everywhere. Casts covered most of his limbs." Jessica's voice broke on the last few words, and fresh tears started running down her face.

"Jessica, go get a drink of water." Mrs. Wood said, looking very concerned from the front of the class.

Jessica got up looking slightly relieved by the chance to escape and sped out of the class, leaving a bunch of open-mouthed shocked faces behind. I was just as shook as the whole class.

Elijah was in the hospital. At least he wasn't here to try and attack me like he had tried to yesterday. I thought.

Maybe fifteen minutes went by before she came back, with red puffy eyes. I kept looking at her throughout the rest of the block, feeling pity towards her. (Don't worry, only a little bit)

When the bell finally rang, I got up and walked to my French class feeling slightly sad for my bullies. I also kept wondering what exactly had happened. Elijah didn't seem that clumsy to just have fallen down the stairs by accident. I, on the other hand, seemed like a more appropriate person for that task.

Sitting down at my spot in the middle of French class, I thought of Axel again, wanting to momentarily forget about Elijah and Jessica. Axel was a good distraction.

Where had Axel even moved from? And why did he reject so many pretty girls? Who did he move here with? Had he made any friends yet? Am I his friend?

No. Why would he want to be your friend, Raven? You're disgustingly ugly and not popular whatsoever. Just because he saved your ass yesterday, doesn't make you guys buddies.

I placed a hand against my face, slightly angry at myself for thinking the things I think.

"Est-ce que tout va bien, Raven?" My French teacher asked, bringing me back to reality.

I looked up at him slightly embarrassed. The whole class was now looking at me. I could feel the creeping redness as I responded. "Oui, Monsieur Robert."

The rest of French class went by just as fast as the other classes, and soon enough the bell rang, signaling that it was the end of the day.

Time to continue the boring cycle.