Chapter 25

Axel POV

I probably shouldn't have lied to her, like I had.

Right when I got into my car, I wanted so badly to turn around and spill everything out to her, all my secrets. Maybe I should have. Maybe I wouldn't be standing here, wishing I could go back in time, wishing I hadn't left, and wishing she was still here.

I'm leaning against a tree, just on the outskirts of the crime scene, where Raven had killed her parents.

I should have told her the truth.

The cops had taken the bodies of her parents away, leaving just a huge puddle of blood behind and yellow "Do not Pass, Crime Scene" tape.

I look up to Raven's lifeless body. She had hung herself.

She must have climbed the tree, secured the rope to one of the stable branches, and wrapped the rest of the rope around her neck, then jumped. Her long black hair was in a tangled mess, and her green eyes were open and completely glassed over. Her lips were no longer a pale pink, but now a strange blue color, and she was still wearing the same dirty and torn clothes I had left her in.

She must have left soon after I did.

I had gone out to the woods after she told me to leave, when Abaddon told me to go to him, so I did. I had been quite shocked seeing her hanging there, pale, and cold. I wanted so badly to take her down from up there, but I didn't feel like making everything lead back to me. I was quite sloppy, killing Elijah.

Perhaps she would have taken it better if I was completely honest with her. She probably killed herself because she thought she was dangerous. I should have told her the truth, that she was possessed by Abaddon into murdering her parents.

I had told Abaddon about her parents and how they were not treating her right. I even told him to wait before we did anything, but he went ahead anyway and used her to kill them. I had been absolutely furious with him after that, for we had made a deal. I give him certain people to feast on, and he doesn't just go around on a killing spree.

Quite unfortunate. Abaddon appeared behind me, chuckling slightly, as he talked to me from inside my head.

"She wouldn't have died, if you hadn't just gone and killed her parents." I stated, still extremely pissed off with him, while looking over my shoulder.

Whatever Axel. She was weak, and you know it. He came up to me, so he was standing next to me and leaned down, so now he was at my level staring at me.

The black fabric of his hood was up and over his head, but I could still see his red eyes staring straight into my own.

I looked away from him. "How are we supposed to know that? You literally killed her before I could really get to know her."

She was just like all the other girls, weak and an emotional mess. After seeing the look I gave him, he continued. Don't worry, we'll find the right girl. Or maybe we won't, but either way, I'll be here to protect you. You don't need a girl.

"I don't need you to protect me either." I said looking back into his eyes.

Oh really? He inclined his head a little and nodded towards my neck. If I hadn't been there, they would have killed you.

I looked away from him once again, remembering that day I wanted so badly to forget.

* * *

I was twelve when it happened, and I was using my so-called 'powers'. A few kids a couple years older than me saw what I was doing. They thought I was a demon, or something. Well... I don't know, maybe I am.

They took me and brought me out into the forest, and started a fire. They thought they could burn the evil out of me. I had pleaded for them to stop, but they continued to pin me down. I saw that they had a metal poker - the ones for the fireplace. They were placing it into the fire, until the tip of it turned slightly red from the heat.

They then had to gag me, as they traced a cross on my neck, with the hot end of the poker. I remembered the pain and the smell of my burning flesh.

Thankfully Abaddon was there, he ended up killing them. Then from then on, I had stuck with him, or he stuck with me I dunno. The cross stuck with me too. A charcoal colored reminder of that awful day.

* * *

"Yes, but that was over five years ago. I can take care of myself now."

Sure you can. He thought sarcastically. If he had pupils, I'm pretty sure he would have rolled his eyes. I'm the one who had to clean up the mess you made at that boy's house.

I think back to the night at Elijah's house. I did end up leaving quite a lot of evidence that would have led back to me.

"I already thanked you for that. Plus you got a good enough meal out of him, so you shouldn't be complaining."

Who said I was complaining?

I looked back up at Raven.

We should get out of here before the police come. He cocked his head to the side and narrowed his eyes. Unless you want to finally get caught.

"No."

Good, let's go. Abaddon straightened up and turned around, but I didn't follow right away. I said let's go.

I looked down at the drawing Raven had drawn of me. "Yes, I know. I just... thought she was different." I gave Raven one last long look before putting the paper back into my pocket and turning around and following Abaddon into the darkness.