Chapter 18

"What's up?" He asked me, as I got closer to him.

"Elijah's dead." I said walking right by him and unlocking my locker. After placing my morning classes books into my locker, I grabbed my afternoon ones and closed my locker door. I then looked up at Axel's reaction.

"Yeah, I know." He said looking almost... relieved? When he saw me looking up at him confused, he quickly changed his expression. "Very unfortunate."

"Yeah..." I looked away from him with wild thoughts swirling around my head. Did he have something to do with Elijah? Had he gotten mad and shoved Elijah down the stairs? How could he possibly want someone dead like that and how did he even get into his house? I had so many questions, as we walked outside.

It was still cloudy out, and kind of cold as well. I cursed myself for only wearing a shirt, but I just sucked it up as I sat down against the tree. Axel sat in front of me like he had the day before.

"You got all your books and binders this time?" I asked, remembering what had happened yesterday during lunch.

"Yup." He replied with a small chuckle.

I stared down at his hand, the one that was twirling a few of the blades of grass. I wasn't sure what to talk about. Should I bring up Elijah? No, maybe not right now.

"Aren't you going to eat?" He asked, gesturing to my bag.

I looked at my bag and then quickly back at him. "No. I don't ever really eat lunch."

I looked away feeling like kicking myself. Most of the 'quirky' girls always say stuff like that. 'I didn't eat breakfast' or 'all I had was a rice cake and some water.' I'm nothing like those girls though. I don't eat because I want to be quirky, I don't eat because I'm just not allowed.

"Where's your food?" I said with narrowed eyes.

"You got me." He said with his hands up in front of him. "I don't eat much either."

I let out a small laugh which quickly died down to silence. "Are you going to the assembly after school? The one for Elijah."

"Probably not." He said a bit quickly.

I stared at him with a weird expression on my face. He was definitely hiding something from me.

"We could do something after school if you want."

I could feel my heart speed up a bit at the thought of hanging out with Axel after school, but then it soon went away after realization kicked in. He was trying to change the subject.

"What do you want to do?" He asked. See. He's definitely trying to hide something, something to do with Elijah.

"We could go for a walk in the woods or something, but probably not here. If a teacher catches us they might send us to Elijah's assembly."

I watched him slightly tense up at the mention of Elijah's name for the second time. He sucked at trying to lie. He's lied to me so many times, to the point where I completely lost track. I've caught him every single time though.

I stopped trying to talk about Elijah after that. I kept to small talk. We talked about our favorite animals, colors, and other things similar to that.

When it was finally time to go and the bell was about to ring, we both got up off the ground and walked to my textiles class.

"Do you wanna meet up sometime during this period?" He asked me before I walked through the door.

"Sure. What time and where?" I said as a blond haired girl glared at me.

Axel followed my gaze and landed his dark eyes on the girl. He gave her a glare twice as mean as the one she gave me, before he turned back to me "'Round one, outside the girls washroom?"

"Yeah ok." I said, giving the girl one last look before turning and walking into class.

A huge smile lit my face at the way the girl's face completely fell. I couldn't believe Axel did that for me. Then again... I couldn't really believe he was still hanging out with me.