Chapter 1: Final Selection

Dear future me,

One more year till final selection! Did we pass? Did we make it? I really hope so, I can finally accomplish something in life. I'm still sad about mother and fathers death. Sometimes I tell myself its a good thing that happened because I got to pick up a sword and help others, but then guilt clouds me and I scold myself for even thinking that. I have officially mastered my 3rd form! I wonder what other things I will be able to do in the future. Something I have learned over this time is to be kind and nice to everyone even if they may not like you at first, because in reality you never know if you will have a favor to ask them one day. Sanemi says I'm a fast learner and praises me for being better then Kocho-san's tsuguko, Kanao which I recently met, doesn't talk as much,but I think she listens to me talking. I hope that when I'm reading this, things will be much better.

Sincerely,
(Name) Sakai

"Maybe I should have waited after the final selection to open this up," I said after I tore the dusty envelope that had been sitting in my shelves awaiting its opening .

I was sitting on a bamboo flooring in Sanemi's living room. The scent of vanilla and wisteria filled the estate calming my nerves down. It always felt nice here, this was my home.

I'm 14 right now, I'm heading toward the final selection in a few hours. I'm just waiting for Sanemi to come so I can say farewell. Afterall this could be goodbye for the last time.

Footsteps could be heard from a distance along with the scent of ohagi. Sanemi loved red bean mochi so much! So it had to be him.

"Sanemi, your going to eat all of that?" I questioned as he entered the living room.

"Well obviously, aren't you supposed to be heading with the Kanao girl already. She's waiting for you outside," he said.

"Oh yes but I just wanted to say goodbye to you, after all this may be my last words to you," I looked down and played with my fingers, it was kind of embarrassing to admit that I may be weak to a person that cares so much about being strong.

"Don't say that I bet you will pass for sure. Plus you trained under the fabulous hashira so why wouldn't you pass?"

I nodded then gave him a hug. He hugged me back.

I grabbed my sword and a lunch box that was filled with onigiri's.

"Bye Sanemi! See you later!" I shouted out while running towards Kanao.

"Sorry for the wait Kanao, let's get going now," I said and she nodded.

Time skip

We had finally made it safely. Kanao overpowers my speed by a bit so I'll keep training so I can be in the same level as her.

(Name) Sakai

Speed: 4/5

Kanao Tsuyuri

Speed: 5/5

"Welcome to the Final Selection. The place here is filled with wisteria which is deadly to demons. So after you leave from this place and enter the forest, you will rely on your skills and abilities to live, now begin," said the black and white hair twins.

I grabbed a handful of wisteria and put it in my pocket.

'Outbeat the system'