26. Hallows

There was a moment of silence as I sat back in my chair as they had all gotten up.

"But then, do you mean..." Hermione started and cocked her head confused, "that you believe these objects, these Hallows really exist?"

Mr. Lovegood raised his eyebrow, "Well, of course." He glanced out of the window again.

The sky was now traced with a hint of pink before I looked back at him, feeling slightly sick.

There was a pause, another silence. Finally, Hermione tilted her head, "Mr. Lovegood, does the Peverell family have anything to do with the Deathly Hallows?"

I closed my eyes and blocked out the conversation as I was growing tired of listening to what I already knew. I wrapped my arms around myself as if hugging myself, trying not to get sick.

Soon after another silence had fallen, Mr. Lovegood walked over and picked up the tray from the table in front of me, and headed for the spiral staircase. At the movement, I opened my eyes and stood from the chair walking to the others, "What's happening?"

"You will stay for dinner?" Mr. Lovegood called from down below, as he had disappeared downstairs, "Everybody always requests our recipe for Freshwater Plimply soup."

"Probably to show the Poisoning Department at St. Mungo's," said Ron under his breath.

We waited until we could hear Mr. Lovegood moving around in the kitchen before he started speaking, "What do you two think?"

He motioned to me and Hermione and I waited for the latter to respond before I did.

"Oh, Harry," she started and sighed before continuing, "It's a pile of rubbish. This can't be what the sign really means. This must just be his weird take on it. What a waste of time."

"You don't believe it either?" he turned to me but I only shook my head.

"See, I do believe him. I might have lied a tiny bit. I have seen that symbol, in my uncle's study. The only reason I didn't tell you was that I know that anything that involved my uncle meant trouble. So I had to be careful. I'm sorry."

He sighed and nodded, "I would've been more appreciative if you told us this earlier, but it's okay, don't apologize."

"Besides, that story's just one of those things you tell kids to teach them lessons, isn't it? 'Don't go looking for trouble, don't go pick fights, don't go messing around with stuff that's best left alone! Just keep your head down, mind your own business, and you'll be okay. Come to think of it," Ron had begun talking and soon kept going as we all turned to him, "Maybe that story's why elder wands are supposed to be unlucky."

"What are you talking about?" Harry asked as he looked at Ron confused along with Hermione, but I understood everything.

"One of those superstitions, isn't it? 'May-born witches will marry Muggles.' 'Jinx by twilight, undone by midnight.' 'Wand of cider, never prosper.' You must have heard them. My mum's full of them."

I nodded, "My uncle used to tell me the same things."

"Harry and I were raised by Muggles," Hermione said with a lowering face before looking up, "We were taught different superstitions. But I think you're right," she turned to Ron, "It might just be a morality tale, it's obvious which gift is best, which one you'd choose-"

We all spoke at the same time as if instinct: Hermione chose, "the Cloak," Ron chose, "the wand," Harry chose, "the stone," and I instantly said, "the Cloak."

We looked at each other, half surprised, half amused.

Ron was the first to break the silence when he turned to Hermione and me, "You wouldn't need to be invisible if you had the wand. An unbeatable wand, Hermione, Scarlett, come on!"

I laughed and pulled out my own wand, "Hate to break your bubble, but I have an unbeatable wand. If I haven't told you before, my wand is just as powerful as the Elder Wand."

Harry nodded, "Yes, but we've already got an Invisibility Cloak,"

"And it's helped us rather a lot, in case you hadn't noticed!" Hermione smacked Harry's shoulder gently before turning to Ron, "The wand, however, would be bound to attract trouble-"

"Only if you shouted about it," Ron argued, "Only if you were stupid enough to go dancing around waving it over your head, and singing, 'I've got an unbeatable want, come and have a go if you think you're hard enough.' As long as you kept your trap shut-"

"Yes, but could you keep your trap shut?" Hermione countered him as she smirked, crossing her arms, "You know the only true thing he said to us was that there have been stories about extra-powerful wands for hundreds of years."

"There have?" Harry asked and Hermione and I rolled our eyes as if it were obvious.

"The Deathstick, the Wand of Destiny, there's the Death Wand they crop up under different names through the centuries, usually in the possession of some dark wizard who's boasting about them."

I nodded, "Professor Binns used to mention some of them. I mean, wands are only as powerful as the wizards who use them. Some wizards just like to boast that theirs are bigger and better than other people's"

"But how do you know," Harry leaned against the wall, confused, "That those wands the Deathstick, and the Wand of Destiny aren't the same wand, surfacing over the centuries under different names?"

"What if they're all really the Elder Wand, made by Death?" Ron nodded agreeing with Harry.

I shook my head, "If you breathe a word of this to anyone, I'll hunt you down."

Ron shivered and took a step back, "You used that threat a lot. Do you have experience or something?"

I shook my head again but in a jokingly manner, "No, of course not. But it doesn't mean I wouldn't do it. Just listen. Harry, I would say that there are many powerful wands, including the Elder Wand. Another one is the Death Wand. It's significant because I own it. It was made for me."

They all turned to me and their eyes widened.

"It's not like the Elder Wand, it's made of maple wood, 11 1/2 inches. As for the interior, it's got the Dementor Essence infused with Unicorn Blood. That itself is intertwined with Phoenix Tears and a single feather."

Hermione looked up at me again, "The Death Wand, made for that of the Dementor Holder. How did I never see this before? I thought it was just a myth!"

I gave her a slight smile as Ron and Harry turned to her, confused as she continued, "No wonder. Remember the third year when she told the dementor to leave the train and it listened?"

The boys nodded, and she pointed at me, "She's the one of the Dementor Hold. Scarlett is the Dementor Holder."

They turned to me again even more shocked than before, "Blimey, Scarlett, I knew you were powerful, but not that powerful!"

"Shut up, Ronald. Can we just get back to what we were talking about, that's all you need to know. Just don't say anything to anyone else."

They all nodded and Ron turned back to Harry but also glanced at me, "Mate, why would you take the stone?"

"Well, if you could bring people back, we could have Sirius, Mad-Eye, Dumbledore, my parents..."

Neither Ron nor Hermione smiled but I agreed with Harry as I thought of the people I had lost, soon we all lowered our heads in silence and respect.