Water Buckets and Stems of Roses

Team drives.

He drives at only 20-25 kPH because he's stuck in Bangkok traffic.

But he's relieved. He's been stuck for 30 minutes now, but he's relieved.

'Anything to buy some time,' he thought.

On an empty road, his father's hotel is only 30 minutes away from the complex. But it being 6:30 PM, with everyone going home, on a summer break, everyone who's commuting in Bangkok, is stuck in traffic.

Uncle J, who Team likes to call, Uncle Prince, because the uncle said he wanted to feel younger. And the 8-yr old Team thought anyone who's called a prince is strong and young. So the nickname stuck.

Team texted him 20 minutes ago about the heavy traffic, to which the old man replied with-

'Khun Team, don't worry. The truck is still cold, the flowers will be fine.'

'But you're just waiting for me there, Uncle Prince. There's a food stand nearby, please grab something to eat first.'

'Don't worry about me, Khun Team. Don't text and drive, it's dangerous.'

'Khun Team, Khun Win just got here in the building. He said he'll let me in and help with the move ahead of time so there won't be a lot of stuff for you to carry anymore. Such a kind friend you have, Khun Team.'

'Okay. But don't carry so much, okay? You can wait for me to help you.'

'Okay, Khun Team. I'll tell Khun Win.'

Team locks his phone and then bangs his head on the steering wheel. Now he has to hurry up or else Uncle Prince will carry everything by himself. The older man is too stubborn sometimes.

Team arrives at the building 20 minutes later, with the truck in the first parking spot on the lot, and slightly opened.

They have started moving the flowers already.

He opens the door and sighs in relief to still see a lot of the fresh blooms.

"Khun Team!" a man calls Team.

He looks to his right and sees Uncle Prince drinking in a can of soda, with Win beside him. They were in mid-conversation.

Uncle Prince wais and Team replies with a wai too.

"Khun Team, I hope you don't mind that we ate before you. Khun Win was also getting dinner so he invited me. But don't worry we bought some take-out for you." Uncle Prince says. Lifting the take-out bag in the air to show to Team.

"Thank you, Lung" Team says.

Team smiles and takes the bag from the older male.

Team feels someone looking at his face, and it's literally just 3 of them, it has to be-

"Hi Team," Win says.

Team looks at him a little before doing a wai.

'Was P'Win's voice always been this deep?' Team thought.

"How've you been doing Team?" the older friend asks.

"Fine," Team answers.

"I see. Good, good," Win says. A little silence ensued.

"So-" Win starts.

"Maybe we should continue with the plants? We still have to replace the water and then cut the stems. Maybe it'll be better if we have an early start, yeah?" Team says.

Looking at both men to convey his message. He looks at Uncle Prince, who happily nods, and at Win who nods too but his expression is unreadable, crabbed, but he nodded so he surely agrees with his suggestion.