Chapter 23: The Final Battle (Ah S**t, Here We Go Again)

A.N: Before we go into this chapter, I want to warn you all that it has taken me 5 months to write and publish this chapter, so some lore may not make so much sense as I created half the chapter on the spot. Alright, enjoy :) [Also, I will warn you... This chapter? It's kind of anticlimactic. It's not the way I wanted it to end, but it's enough]

-Marina's POV-

"Welcome, Squidbeak Splatoon, to your demise."

His words echoed through the room, but I couldn't help paying attention to Pearl instead, my gaze fixed on her now dulled-out eyes, no longer the golden colour they used to be. She was melting; black ink dripping down into the puddle already beneath her, matching that of Zero who we had all been told about by now.

She looks up at me after looking at the floor for a while, her hand lightly gripping her arm as she tried to keep herself in the moment; keep herself from drifting away from reality any more than usual. No smiling, no grinning, no emotions, she just looked on with her eyes telling me everything: a simple 'I'm sorry' knowing she had messed up severely. Everyone knew she felt like that, but I was the only one to show it after Keigo appeared. 

"Our plans already started thanks to my Pearlie over here! She lured you all in just so we could have a head-start without any interruptions, and I thank you for that." He walks on over to us all, pushing his way through our clump to Marie who was standing beside me, hand over her mouth after a moment of realisation. "Go on Agent 2." "I... I caused this..." She can barely get it out before Keigo walks away, laughing. "Exactly! If it wasn't for you telling her to come to join me, she wouldn't be being used as a weapon! You started a domino effect, Agent 2, and I thank you for the help!" 

"Shut. up." 

Our gazes dart back over to Pearl who had held on for so long, now looking up at her boyfriend, fists clenched beside her as she tried to hold her gaze. "Oh? But Pearlie, she led you back to me... Isn't that good?" Walking up to her and reaching his hand out to hold her cheek, we all watch as he's smacked away, his hand recoiling from the sudden impact. "I said shut up... And don't you dare touch me after what you've done. You've lied, manipulated, betrayed, backstabbed... I don't even recognise you anymore, especially since this version of you is all I know now, my memories are deteriorating after all..." "Pearl..." "I don't care, Keigo, about this stupid plan of yours... I only ever cared about you and I can't even concentrate on that now. It takes so much of myself to even keep myself sane and in the moment. So please, just shut up about what they did to make this happen, because this was my fault for even trusting you."

The room goes quiet, Pearl still staring on at Keigo, waiting and holding on for the moment when he bothers to even try and look at her. He knew what he had done, but didn't care at all, even if he made most of us guilty for the actions we decided to make that led to this moment. 

Sighing, he nods at Cora and in a moment of distress, I run over without thinking to grab Pearl's arm and pulling her close. "Don't you dare." "Oh, I definitely dare, Marina Ida. She's of no use now, so either we get rid of her now for you or you suffer as you watch your best friend lose herself. Either way, enjoy what comes next!" 

"Agents! Split!" 

Half goes for the fight against both Agent 3's, the other after Zero who had manoeuvred to the door and started its reign of inkblot on the land nearby. I, on the other hand, went straight for Keigo under Pearl's not-so-subtle request for revenge as she dragged me away, something that would be so sweet after all that had happened, and something I never expected myself to want so badly.

-Callie's POV-

"Agent 2, do you copy?" "I certainly do, Agent 1."

Dodging an ink shot from Cora, I run down the hall and hide behind a wall to the right, looking over slightly to guess how much time I would have. "Good. We're working on both agent's over here now. You can start the attack on Zero when you're ready." "Already done. See you on the other side, Cal." "See you on the other side, Mari. Over and out."