Thieves, Deals, and Plans

"And thats what happened." Mhara said as she rubbed her new black eyes.

Victoria only sat and looked at her as she bounced her crossed foot in the air before exhaling into a slight laugh.

"What?" Mhara asked clearly surprised by her reaction.

"I'm impressed." Victoria said with a prideful smile. "Thats the second time the Summerset Shadows have failed to set up in Skyrim, they're never going to destroy the Thieves Guild."

"Burning down a skooma distillery should finally make that clear." Rayan added as he stretched his arms and leaned back on the wall.

"And killing their lead agent on the first attempt wasn't?" Victoria asked as she faked a look of shock at Rayans agreement with Mhara.

Victoria couldn't keep a straight face when he looked at her and she stated laughing. After a few breaths she looked back at her former apprentice. "So where were you hiding the entire time?" She asked.

"Its better if I show you." Mhara said. "They're very paranoid."

Victoria gestured for her to lead the way then followed with Rayan right behind.

Mhara led them to a alley in the grey quarter and eventually a loose sewer cover pulling it back and climbing down. Victoria let out a gag as the wretched smell hit her nose before she climbed down as well.

This particular section of the sewer seemed to be purposefully more deterring than any other with the smell, no torchlight, and an eerie noise that echoed as a faint breeze blew. After their long there was finally a dim light at the end with a flickering shadow.

Before Victoria could react Rayan pulled her behind him as the dim shadow turned into a silhouette with a bow and knocked arrow.

"Its me." Mhara said as she slowly approached.

"And who are they?" The archer demanded.

"Friends." She responded.

Subtly and quickly, Victoria pulled up her hood, letting the shadows cover her face as Mhara talked. She saw the guard lower his bow the pointed in the direction for them to go.

They walked through a long tunnel until a flash of torchlight highlighted their destination. Victoria saw Mhara look back at her as the brief glint of light showed worry in her eyes.

Finally the area grew bright as Victoria saw several imperial armored soldiers. They were sharpening their swords, having hushed conversations, and eating.

"Mhara, what have you been doing?" She asked.

Mhara cocked her ear in a slight twitch, a giveaway when she would pretend to not hear.

Victoria looked around at the soldiers seeing all of them eyeing the three. A skittish feeling crawled up her back that she refused to ignore.

Right before she was about to say something Rayan pulled her close.

"Like walking into a monster nest." He whispered.

"Mhm." She hummed and nodded in agreement as they stopped in front a heavily armored imperial.

"Thief." The imperial said.

"Legate Rikke." Mhara responded.

"Who are these two?"

Mhara took a quick glance behind her as she was thinking of something to say. "She's a fellow associate in my organization and he's-"

"An escort I hired." Victoria interrupted as she stepped forward. "And he has no part in any of the dealings you had with her, and now, with me."