The Siege After

Mallory limped towards the ruins of a house and plopped down on a large piece of rubble.

Blood and sweat trickled down her face as she dropped her axe and shield without care. She hunched over resting her elbows on her knees as she held her head, out of breath and panting heavily.

When she was able to regain herself, Mallory lifted up to see the blood dripping down her leg as and arrow was sticking out of her thigh. She never felt it hit her.

Mallory reached for the arrow only to see her hands shake with horrible tremors as she did her best to take deep breaths to calm down. Once she steadied herself long enough, Mallory broke off the arrowhead and pulled the shaft from her leg.

Through clenched teeth and a failed suppressed scream she pulled out the arrow. Then Mallory put pressure on her new wound and stood up.

With both legs wounded, she could only hobble as she picked up her shield and axe.

The nearest tent felt like it was across Skyrim until someone picked up her arm.

"I got you." The Legionaire said as he put her arm around his shoulder.

"Thank you." Mallory said as the two made their way to a medic tent.

Whiterun seemed to be in ruins as Mallory looked around seeing only destruction. Houses destroyed with both dead soldiers and civilians crushed underneath. There were burning fire being tended to by mages. Soldiers reformed their units to prepare for the next attack. She saw children covered in dirt or wounded crying for their parents. Others tried waking up their dead friends before screaming.

The medical tents were pushed back deeper into the city near the Gilder Green.

Nearly all priests, priestess, and imperial medic were moving around quickly. They were stopping heavy bleeding and serious injuries before being able to treat properly.

Mallory saw Sappsa giving orders in between treating wounded.

"Here." The soldier said as he sat her down on a cot still wet with blood.

In the time she waited, Mallory reflected in her very first large scale battle. The chaos that replayed in her head as she heard soldiers scream. The fire falling from the sky as catapults fired at them.

She had no special mission, no secret objective to carry out for her to avoid the main fight. She only had to survive and defend Whiterun from a complete, and unprepared for, surprise.

General Tullius had retreated from Fort Greymoor when the force from Markarth came. They were caught off guard from Windhelm and demoralized when Jorrvaskr burned.

Mallory had kept track of the Companions bodies when she and a few trusted others, pulled them from the ashes.

Only a few survived but were gravely wounded in a closed off section and only one was missing. They were in some sort of coma according to Sappsa, but she spoke too fast at the moment for Mallory to understand.

Mallory thought of the convieint timing of the fire just after Illdene said they join her. She also knew the saboteur was long gone by now. It didn't matter now, Mallory also had to deal with the spy in her unit as well.

"Commander!" Sappsa yelled at her superior taking Mallory out of her thoughts.

Before Mallory was able to say anything, Sappsa laid her down quickly and got to work in the visible wounds. Mallory felt her Tribune quickly work her way over her leg with a healing spell.

Mallory closed her eyes to rest when a sudden slap came across her cheek. She saw Sappsa had been the one who did it and she stared at her with shock.

"Do NOT close your eyes until I'm finished!" The medic said.