Chapter 10: Breathe

Valerie’s POV:
            I opened the door and found Harry sitting on his bed, breathing heavily and wheezing. He started coughing again.
            “Harry, do you know where your inhaler is?” I asked, rushing to his side. He shook his head, still coughing, “Liam!” I called over my shoulder. I heard someone running and soon Liam burst through the door and Louis followed behind.
            “What? What’s wrong?” he asked. He walked up to Harry and sat down on his other side. Louis hesitated by the door.
            “Do either of you know where Harry’s inhaler is?” I asked. Liam and Louis shook their heads, “We need to get him to the hospital then, he’s having an asthma attack.”

Louis’s POV:
            Harry had stormed out of mine and Valerie’s room. I knew that he wasn’t done telling me off though; he started coughing and couldn’t talk without wheezing.
            I knew that he had asthma, so he must have gone to find his inhaler. I started to walk out of the room when I heard Valerie’s panicked voice.
            “Liam!” she called. Liam ran past me to Harry’s room and I followed him.
            “What? What’s wrong?” Liam asked. I stood in the doorway and watched Liam sit next to Harry, who was coughing and wheezing worse than before.
            “Do either of you know where Harry’s inhaler is?” Valerie asked. Liam and I shook our head, “We need to get him to the hospital then, he’s having an asthma attack.” Valerie helped Harry stand up while he was still coughing and Liam and I quickly walked to the living room area.
            “What’s going on?” Zayn asked as Liam and I put on our coats.
            “Harry’s having an asthma attack and can’t find his inhaler,” I explained, “We’re taking him to the hospital.”
            “We’ll come with,” Niall said, standing up from where he was sitting.
            “No,” Liam said, “There are only four seats in the car and we don’t want to cause too much commotion when we leave the hotel. Val, Louis, and I will take Harry. Just tell Paul where we’re going okay?” Niall and Zayn reluctantly agreed and Harry and Valerie walked out and put on their coats. Harry had stopped coughing but he was still wheezing.
We headed out the door and walked to the elevator. When the doors opened we stepped in and Harry leaned onto the wall. He had his hand on his chest and his face was contorted in pain. Valerie stood in front of him.
            “Harry, just take slow breaths okay? Inhale through your nose and exhale through your mouth. When you exhale, pretend you’re blowing out a candle. Can you do that?” she whispered to him quickly. He nodded and did as he was told and by the time the elevator doors opened, his face softened.
            We quickly walked outside and into the cold. Harry started coughing again as he breathed in the cold air. We walked to the car, hoping that the paps wouldn’t spot us. Unfortunately, they did.
            “Valerie, Louis, why haven’t you guys left the hotel before now?”
            “What’re you planning to do for Louis’s birthday?”
            “Where are you four going?”
“What’s wrong with Harry?”
            They started to get in our way and I was getting pissed off.
            “Get out of our way!” I yelled, “It’s an emergency!” Liam pushed a path past them and we got to the car. Valerie and Harry sat in back, Liam sat shotgun, and I drove. I started the car and pulled into traffic. I heard Harry’s breathing get faster and he coughed more.
            “Okay, Harry calm down okay? Slower breaths, like I told you in the elevator,” Valerie said. Harry did as he was told and started calming down.

*One Car Ride Later*

            We got into the hospital and went up to the desk.
            “My brother’s having an asthma attack and we can’t find his inhaler,” Valerie said when we got to the desk. The nurse got up and started leading Harry down one of the halls.
            “Could you guys wait out here?” Valerie asked, “I’m going to stay with Harry.” We both nodded and I gave her a quick kiss before she hurried to catch up to the nurse.
            “Well, I guess all we can do now is wait,” Liam said. We walked over to the chairs and sat down.

Valerie’s POV:
            The nurse, hooked Harry up to an IV, gave him some corticosteroids in the form of a pill, and set up an oxygen mask for him to use while it kicked in. 
            “Just wait for a little while and as soon as you start feeling better Mr. Styles, we'll need to do some tests, then you can go home. We’ll get you a new inhaler in case this happens again as well,” the nurse said before she left the room. Harry nodded and breathed into the mask.
            When the nurse left the room, I sat next to Harry on the bench and smiled at him. We sat there for at least ten minutes and he started getting better. He was able to breathe well enough to talk.
            “Do you know what caused the attack?” I asked. Harry paused before shrugging. He took the mask away from his mouth for a moment.
            “When we were outside the hotel there was a lot of smoke from someone smoking, that may have caused it,” he said. I pushed the mask back to his face.
            “Keep breathing the oxygen Harry,” I said. He rolled his eyes but did what I told him to do, “Did you see their face?”
            “I can’t really remember it,” he said from behind the mask.
            “Do you remember anything about them?” Harry paused again before answering.
            “I saw that they had wavy brown hair, kinda like…” he trailed off.
            “Like what?” I asked. He took a deep breath of the oxygen and spoke.
            “Like Eleanor.”