Chapter 38: Heart to Heart

Valerie’s POV:
            I heard quiet clicking sounds and I slowly opened my eyes. I shifted a little and the clicking stopped. I heard quiet shuffling and the door closed. I sat up a little to look at the door, but no one was there.
            “Morning love,” Louis said sleepily. I looked down at him and saw that he was watching me, smiling.
            “Good morning,” I said. I stretched and yawned. There was a knock at the door and I got up to answer it. Harry was just about to knock again when I opened the door.
            “Good Morning Haz,” I said.
            “Morning Val, Louis,” he said, waving to Louis as he said his name, “Hey Val, Holly’s downstairs making breakfast and I was wondering if you wanted to go for a walk before we eat? We haven’t spent much time together and I thought it’d be good for you to get outside for a while.”
            “Yeah, sure,” I said, “Just let me get dressed quick.” Harry smiled and went back downstairs.
            “I’ll go and get dressed too,” Louis said. He got up off of my bed and walked past me. He paused and turned back to look at me. He looked like he was trying to decide whether or not to do something. He reached up to touch my cheek and sighed. He then turned back around and walked down to his room.
            I sighed and closed my eyes. I hated that I was hurting him like this. I just don’t remember yet…

*10 minutes later*

            I ran down the stairs and into the kitchen. Holly was flipping over some strips of bacon and Harry was standing behind her, his arms around her waist and his chin resting on her shoulder. Honestly, those two were adorable together!
            I started to quietly back out of the kitchen, not wanting to disturb their moment.
            “LOUIS! WHAT THE HELL?!?” Zayn yelled from upstairs. Holly and Harry jumped and turned around.
            “Oh, good morning Val,” Holly said, smiling.
            “Morning!” I said. There was some pounding from upstairs and soon it sounded like elephants were running down the stairs. Louis then came running into the kitchen with a soaking wet Zayn close behind him.
            “LOUIS!” Zayn yelled. Louis ran behind the counter and stuck his tongue out at Zayn. Zayn ran behind the counter just as Louis ran around to the other side and into the living room. Zayn ran after him, leaving a few puddles of water behind.
            “Well, Louis seems to be in a good mood,” Holly giggled. Harry just shook his head and chuckled.
            “Are you ready to go Val?” he asked. I nodded. Harry turned to Holly and gave her a quick kiss, “We’ll be right back.” He turned back to me and we both headed out of the kitchen and passed through the living room.
            “Zayn, don’t kill him!” Harry called to him as we passed Louis and Zayn, who had Louis pinned to the floor.
            “I’ll boil your carrots Louis,” Zayn threatened. Louis’s eyes widened and he began begging for mercy. I giggled as Harry and I reached the door.

Harry’s POV:
            I had a plan.
            It seemed as though Valerie’s memories were being triggered by similar situations. Either that or they came to her in her dreams. So I thought I’d kill two birds with one stone.
            We walked out the door and began walking down to the animal shelter.
            “So, how’re you holding up?” I began. Valerie sighed.
            “I remembered something in my dream last night,” she said, but she didn’t continue explaining.
            “What did you remember?”
            “Miscarriage.”
            “Oh…” Honestly, I didn’t know how to respond to that. Did she remember it as a good memory, having been separated from what Richard had done. Or did she remember the pain she felt during it?
            “It’s okay Harry,” she said after a moment of silence between us, “I’m okay with it.”
            “That’s good,” I said. Time to begin the second part of the plan, “So, is there anything, or any one, you want to talk about?” I looked over to her and saw her bite her lip.
            “Louis,” she said. I racked my brain, trying to remember exactly what I had said that day she talked to me about liking Louis.
            “You like him,” I said, “Don’t you?” She nodded and looked down at the ground as we continued walking, “You know, he cares about you a lot Val.” She looked back up at me and smiled a little.
            “Really?”
            “Really. He’s waiting for you, Val. He’s waiting for you to remember.”

Valerie’s POV:
             “So,” Harry said, “What do you want to talk about?” I hesitated for a moment.
            “Louis,” I said quietly. Harry nodded like he understood what I wanted to say.
            “You like him,” he said, “Don’t you?” I nodded and looked at the ground and he smiled, “You know, he feels the exact same way about you, Val.” I looked up at him again.
            “Really?” I whispered.
            “Really.”
            “Then why hasn’t he-”
            “He wasn’t sure if you were ready for a relationship, after all you’ve been through,” Harry cut me off, then leaned forward, “Are you ready?” I thought about it for a moment, then nodded. Harry gave me a reassuring smile.
            “Show him you’re ready. Once he knows you are, he’ll tell you how he feels,” Harry said, “And when that happens, you need to let him know how you feel.” I hugged Harry and he chuckled.

            I smiled.
            “You were trying to make me remember the conversation we had about me liking Louis, weren’t you?” I asked Harry. He smiled and nodded.
            “I’ll take it that you remember it?” I nodded and his smile grew.