Chapter 42

Ivena
^^^^^

2 weeks later.

"Amina, if you're not on your best behavior, you won't have dessert tonight and you'll go to bed early. And no toys." I told her.

"Yes, Mama." She listened as I put her sandals on. She was wearing a floral dress and I was wearing a matching one.

Today was Byron and Shania's graduation was today and I promised them that I would be there. Regardless, of what is going on.

Mini was excited and I was spraying she wasn't gonna pull any bullshit today. I didn't have the patience for it.

Vie and Delia were already dressed and waiting in the car.

Mini and I walked downstairs and into the car. I don't know if I was nervous to see Jovan but this drive to the highschool was so fucking short.

We walked in the auditorium and of course we went to sit next to Jovan. Vie insisted, I guess.

"Jovan, I haven't seen you in like forever." Mini hugged him and I allowed it.

"Yeah, I missed you, lil bit." He hugged her and she sat next to him. I tried to ignore him.

"Iva." He greeted. I took a deep breath and faced him.

"Hey." I spoke awkwardly. I sat back in my chair and focused on some brochure someone gave me when we walked in.

"Anyway, I can't wait to see my babies graduate." Vie smiled. We sat in silence until they finally started to call students.

"Shania Jordan." I heard Shania's name called and we all stood up and clapped for her. I think she is about 4 months now and is expecting a baby boy.

She had a a little baby bump now. I watched as she walked on the stage in her heels and took her diploma. They took a picture and she smiled, showing her pearly white teeth.

Later on, they finally got to the T last names and we payed close attention.

"Byron Taylor." They called. We stood up and screamed loudly and cheered for him. He had his hairs in braids and a fresh cut.

He looked so happy in this moment. I was so proud of him. He turned his whole future around in just a  couple of months. Now, he's graduating and going to Stanford.

"Yeah! That's my nigga!" Jovan yelled and all the white people gave us stares. I couldn't help but to laugh. We looked over at each other and I smiled small.

I really did miss him.

-----

We were all at Jovan's house in the backyard. I decided to let Mini have some fun. Maybe that's why she's been acting out lately.

"Mini, what do you wanna be when you grow up?" Shania asked.

"An astronaut! I wanna go on a boat to space like Elon Musk." She told Shania.

"Girl, what you know about Elon Musk?" Vie laughed.

"He makes cars." She shrugged. "What are you gonna be when you grow up?" She asked Shania.

"Well, after I go to college and pop this baby out, I want to be a pharmacist." She smiled.

"You have a baby?" Mini peeled her eyes away from her iPad.

"Yeah, he's growing in my belly." She pointed to her bump.

Shania had been doing well with her pregnancy. After talking to Dr. Campbell, she was able to look at this in a positive light. Though sometimes she wasn't at he highest.

"I've never seen a baby grow in someone's belly." Mini put her hand on her stomach.

"Well, you grew in your mom's belly."

"Really? Mama, I grew in your belly?" She asked.

We've been over this, but here we go again.

"Yes, baby. You grew in my belly." I smiled small. "I'm going outside for a little. I need some air."

I got up and went to the small backyard. I've never actually spent time in Jovan's backyard but it was nice.

"Hello to you too." Jovan's deep voice spoke, startling me.

"Sorry, I didn't know you were out here." I mumbled. It went quiet for a while. I wasn't even sure what to say. There was a lot of things that needed to be said but I don't know where to start.

"Are you really moving to Connecticut?" I blurted out.

"That's seeming like the only option right now. I haven't confirmed with the people yet." He told me and I nodded slowly.

"I'm sorry." I looked at him.

"I'm sorry too." He responded as I sat down next to him.

"So, you were just going to leave me?" I asked.

"Iva, the whole reason I came to your house was to see if we could still make this work. I wasn't just gonna leave to Connecticut and when I told you, you just went off on me. You can't say I didn't try." He explained and I felt like shit.

"What happened with Mini, I tried to exain and you wouldn't let me. I didn't let her get hurt. I was making her food and I kept telling her to sit down and she didn't. That's how she ended up in the hospital. You know how much I love Amina. You know how much I love you." He continued.

"I know, Jovan." Was all I could say. "I vowed to protect Mini no matter what and I let that shit happen."

"You can't protect children from everything, Iva. They're gonna get hurt. No matter how much you don't want them to. It's life." He explained and I nodded.

"I guess I'm just overprotective."

"And that's okay. But, you gotta know children are gonna be children. They some badasses who do whatever they want until they in trouble."

"You're right." I sighed.

"I know. I'm always right." He smiled confidently and I laughed.

"I forgot how big your head got." I shook my head. "Look, I know this probably moving too fast but it's been a long ass 2 months with you. I want us to get back together." I spoke quickly.

"I honestly want the same. I won't move to Connecticut if we can really work on this. You have to trust and believe me when I say there's nothing I'd ever do to intentionally hurt you, Amina, or your family. I love y'all way too much. This may be a little too soon but, I want to spend the rest of my life with you. There's nothing in my life that I want to do without you."  He grabbed my hand gently.

"Do you trust me?" He asked me. I stared in his eyes for  a moment.

"Yes, Jovan. I trust you." I tip-toed to kiss him and he kissed me passionately. Everything felt so right in this moment.

"Yeah! Mommy and Jovan are boyfriend and girlfriend again!" Mini slid open the glass door. I smiled and picked her up then spun her around.