chapter 4

| Brielle Walker Merritt |

"Mom cmon please!" I exclaimed. "How you gon let Bryson go to his dumb sleepover but not let me go to a party!"

"Because I said so! This party you want to go to isn't safe, and I just know it!" Mom sighed.

"But you don't know that! It's literally just me and people from my school going!" I scoffed.

"Baby trust me, I know a lot more than you think you do." She shook her head at me. "I'm not letting you go because it's not safe. I don't feel comfortable with you going, point blank period."

"Ugh but I- okay you know what? It's fine. I just won't go. Like you said, it's just a party." I sighed whilst walking away.

"Hold on, come back here!" Mom called out.

"Mm? What now?" I slumped myself against the door frame.

"Haven't you got that baby to look after. Parents with new borns should be staying at home looking after their baby." She furrowed her eyebrows. "Not going to high school parties."

"Mom that baby is literally the last thing on my mind right now." I sighed whilst rolling my eyes. "And besides, it's not even my turn to look after him."

"Mhm okay, oh and make sure you tell Jayden what I just told you. Y'all ain't going to this party." She side eyed me.

"Yeah, yeah I know." I sighed as I walked towards the stairs.

I went over to Jayden's door and knocked. I could hear music playing and talking, but he didn't respond.

He had a fingerprint lock on his door so I wasn't able to just open it and walk in.

"JAYDEN!" I repeatedly banged my fist against the door so he would hear me. "OPEN THE DOOR."

"What? Whatcu want now?" He flung the door open startling me.

"I just wanted to say, mom said we can't go to the party- wait, is that Tasha?" I peeped through the door and she was sat on his bed.

"Yeah it is, i'm just tryna get to know her so we can get a good grade on the assignment." He smirked.

"Ew, you nasty as hell." I mumbled under my breath. "And you told me not to get attached to my partner."

"You guys know i'm right here, I can hear everything you're saying!" Tasha interrupted us.

"Girl I know you here, I can literally see you." I rolled my eyes.