chapter 37

| Kehlani Walker Merritt |

"Yes i'm fine. Why wouldn't I be?" I muttered as I folded up the clean bedsheets.

"Lani stop acting like this, I know you. And I know you still upset about the other day." Tione sighed.

"Of course i'm still mad!" I loudly spoke. "I'm sorry that i'm still trying to come to terms with the fact that my son was on drugs and I didn't know about it!"

"Baby-"

"Look I don't wanna talk about this right now." I shook my head. "I just want to clean the house and have a peaceful day to myself."

I put all the clean sheets into the laundry basket so I could take it upstairs and put them away.

"Mom can I-"

"Not right now Jayla, go ask your dad." I sighed.

I was feeling very stressed out and the last thing I wanted to do was lash it all out on the kids.

It's what my parents knew to do best.

Flashback

"See what you've fucking done!" My dad backed me into a corner. "I told you to stop asking me for money and I told you to stop bothering me!"

"How am I supposed to buy groceries? Huh? Because it seems like i'm the only one here who gives a fuck about not starving and practically killing myself!" I raised my voice.

I stood up for myself, for the first time.

"Shout at me again Kehlani! I swear to God, I dare you to shout at me again!" My dad spat. "You're such an ungrateful, stupid child. Get outta my face. You're the reason your mom almost overdosed last night."

I looked over at my mom who was laying on the couch. I didn't even know if she was conscious or not.

"You can't blame that on me!" I exclaimed as my eyes began to water. "That's not my fault and you know it!"

He grabbed me by the shoulder and practically threw me to the floor.

He stormed off in the kitchen, I heard him open the fridge and grab yet another beer.

Seconds later he came back into the living room and looked at me with disgust.

"What? Why you still sat there?" He grumbled. "Get the fuck up and outta my face."