chapter 18

| Brielle Walker Merritt |

"Mom seriously i'm fine! Just give me some pain meds and i'll be fine." I groaned.

I wasn't going to take any meds, I was just going to flush them down the toilet - no one would find out.

"Brielle I am not taking no for an answer, now go get in the damn car!" Mom snapped. "Tione please just go help her get into the car."

- an hour later in a hospital room -

"No! No, no pain meds. No iv, i'm fine." I jumped as the nurse tried to approach me.

"But sweetie we need to clean your wound and I have no doubt that it will hurt." The nurse softly spoke.

"I don't care! Just please don't give me any meds." I sighed.

"Okay, that's fine. But we will need to do a quick x-ray just to make sure you haven't fractured any parts of your foot." The nurse explained. "If i'm correct an iron skillet pan was dropped onto your foot?"

"Yeah, yeah but I don't need an x-ray. My foot isn't broken, I can move it just fine." I winced as I slightly moved my foot around.

"Brielle what is wrong with you! These nurses are just trying to help you, just let them do what they have to do so we can get out of here!" Mom whispered in my ear.

"Let's just finish cleaning up your foot and then we can see what we need to do next." The nurse spoke.

Another doctor came in and started cleaning up my foot with this water looking stuff and some cotton swabs.

Since it was a burn they said they had to be careful to make sure that nothing got in the wound.

I really didn't care about my foot, I was just more concerned about getting out of this damn hospital.

"Okay i've finished cleaning it all up, now i'm just going to give you these meds for the pain. And then we can go off to the x-ray machine." The doctor smiled at me.

I just looked at her and started shaking my head. Dad put his hand on mine making me jump.

"N-No I really don't need the meds, o-or the x-ray i'm fine, really i'm fine." I shakily spoke.

I was getting real nervous and I could feel myself beginning to sweat.

"Mom, dad do you might stepping out the room?" The doctor kindly asked. "Just so I can have a brief conversation with your daughter."