23

ISLA'S POV

I should. No, you shouldn't. I stare at my phone. Maybe I can tell Adrian I am not feeling well. But that'd be a lie and lying is wrong. I hate the positive influence my mother had on me. Why couldn't she raise a manipulative lying bitch? My life would've been so much easier.

No, I can't cancel. He's probably already on his way to pick me up and besides, I am already dressed. I didn't have a dress suitable for a fancy dinner so I went to Orla after my shift at Dana's and thankfully she lent me one. I could've asked Gen as well but she would've completely freaked if she found out about me going out with Adrian and I am already confused as it is and I didn't need her judgement or euphoria, depending on how she feels about this.

Orla was pretty chill about it though. She promised not to tell anyone about it, and after telling her about my doubts she convinced me to give it a try and just see how things develop between Adrian and I.

I wasn't very optimistic though. I'm not even excited. I am nervous, anxious, a bit worried but not excited. How come I was more excited to buy cotton candy last night when we walked past the East river than I am for this date with a really amazing guy?

My phone buzzes.

James: »Made a decision yet?«

Oh, yeah. I forgot to tell him. Or maybe I purposely didn't because I know how he feels about this.

»A friend convinced me to go. But I am still not feeling it.«

I should change the contact name.

Bucky: »Just tell him a emergency happened. Or that you're getting sick.«

»You're a bit too obsessed with the idea of me cancelling on the poor dude.«

Bucky: »Maybe you weren't so wrong with calling me a bitch.«

I chuckle when I remember. I take a look at myself in the mirror before putting all the makeup and my straightener away. I didn't want to go too over the board, especially since I wasn't even in the mood, so I just applied some simple makeup and straightened my hair. Anything else would've been too much anyway since the dress is a eye-catcher on its own. Orla didn't have many dresses that fit me because of her slim figure and those who did were too revealing for my preferences so I went with the only one that was the closest to moderate. It's still something I would've never bought on my own though. The dress is maroon coloured and goes just above half of my thighs. The fabric is a soft satin but the cleavage is too much and the straps keep falling down so I have to be careful with my movements. (*go to A/N for reference)

»I feel like I am going to puke.«

Bucky: »That bad?«

»Worse. I can't cancel. Can't you just break my leg or something so I have an excuse?«

Bucky: »I have this gut feeling that you'd break both my legs and arms before I could even get close to hurting you.«

I laugh. He's really making this easier.
»Can you come over? Help me kill some time?«

Bucky: »It'll be weird if there's another guy in your apartment when your date comes to pick you up.«

»You're my friend. It's not weird.«
Honestly speaking, yes it it. I'd find it weird if I went to a guy's house and found another girl there but I don't care at this moment. I need someone to comfort me and make me cool down and Bucky is the only one to do so.

Bucky: »Okay. Open the door.«

I get up from the floor, hastily throw the makeup products in my drawer, promising myself that I'd clean it up tomorrow, and walk towards the door.