32

Isla's POV

"Come on, you don't need me to tell you that wine isn't the solution to your problems." Gen kneels down in front of me, wrapping her hands around my torso. "I hate seeing you like this."

"I'm not particularly fond of it myself." I murmur in the bottle before taking another sip.

"Are you going to tell me what happened?"

"You already know. I'm sure the whole neighbourhood heard." After I yelled at him so loudly, there's no way they didn't.

"But I just can't believe it's true. There's no way it's true. He never even looked at me when I served him at the diner. There's no way he is dating someone."

"Well, but apparently there is." I am still sobbing a bit so my voice comes out weak and hoarse. "I feel so stupid. And naive. Here I was thinking about him the whole time, telling everyone how much I liked him and how he's worth it, when all this time he was into someone else." Part of me thinks that I am exaggerating and that it was only a kiss but that's not true. The kiss was only the result of what's been building up for weeks now.

"That's why I am bi. I hate men."

"Amen, sister. Amen."

"Please stop crying. I don't know how to comfort you. You never cry." She takes the bottle out of my hand and helps me get up. I almost trip but Gen catches me before I actually fall. "How about a movie? Do you want to watch a movie?"

"Let's watch Little Woman. I feel like I'll relate to Amy pretty much."

"You know damn well that James doesn't come close to Laurie Laurence."

"You're right. He's even more attractive." I groan again, reaching out for the wine bottle but fail when Gen pulls it away again.

"No alcohol for you. You won't become one of those people who drink away their problems. You feel like shit? You have every right to do so. But this," she points at the bottle, "is no way to cope with your issues."

"It seemed pretty sufficient."

"But it isn't. Didn't you whine about your ex boyfriend scaring you whenever he was drunk? Do you want to be like him?"

"That's not the same thing. Don't compare me to Chester. God, you act as if I'm some alcoholic. I barely drink. Sorry for wanting to feel numb for one fucking night after just getting rejected by the first guy I let close to me since years!" I yell and rip my wrist out of her grip. "God, I am so angry! I want to kill him. Or anyone. I want to kill someone." I look around and when I spot the whine bottle, I grab it; not to drink, but to throw it against the door, watching it splatter into a thousand pieces. Red liquor drips down the wooden door and the floor is covered with glass.

"Oh my god, Isla!" Gen screams and covers her face out of a reflex.

"I fucking hate him!" I take a plate from the counter and throw it against the door as well. Followed by a vase.

"Calm down!" Gen begs but I don't hear her. All I hear is his voice.

I have a girlfriend.
I have a girlfriend.

"Fuck you!" I bark. "Fuck you, and your girlfriend."

"Hey." Gen slowly walks towards me but I step away. I am not yelling anymore when I say, "I thought it would be different this time, y'know? I thought that there was someone who genuinely cared about me. Someone who'd treat me good, not like Chester. Someone who was looking for something more than a fling, unlike Ryan."

"There is someone like that out there. Somewhere. You said it yourself. We're still young. Things are gonna happen when we least expect them."

"But I don't want things to happen. I just want this. Him." I blink when my eyes start to water, feeling a hot tear running down my cheek. "I want him, Gen. Why doesn't he want me?"