85

"You look like shit."

Ah, yeah, my brother and his way with words. Usually I'd make a sassy remark or at least flip him the finger, but I am too nervous about the conversation that will happen in a few minutes.

I am already sweating and if I talk too much he'll notice my stutter and the fear in my voice. I asked Bucky to stay in my bedroom until I told Tristan everything. He easily loses his temper and I didn't want them to end up in a brawl.

In moments like this I realise how fucked up everything is. I mean sure, it's awkward telling your brother that you're in a relationship with someone, but being scared of his reaction? Same goes for my mother. I can't believe I am twenty fucking years old but still act like a nervous kid around my family.

But this ends now. Now.

"You know, it would've been nice to know that you're not staying at your old apartment anymore. I can't believe you moved someplace else and didn't even tell anyone." Tristan speaks as he checks out the place. He probably won't walk into any of the rooms since it could be Gen or Orla's rooms so he wouldn't invade their privacy. But I am still on edge. I feel like puking.

"Well, you didn't exactly make any efforts to contact me in the last few months so that's on you." I point out and sit down on the couch. Gen went to the kitchen after greeting Tristan but she assured me that she's' in reach if I need backup' as if my 5 feet 11 ex-assassin boyfriend isn't right next door.

I am being dramatic. Obviously Tristan wouldn't raise his hand against me. He'd never. He may be lots of things but he'd never hit a woman, especially not me. All his overprotectiveness is rooted in his love for me so I know he wouldn't abuse me physically.

"To be fair, I was busy with lots of things." Tristan sits down across from me on the chair and eats one of the grapes that have been on the table for a little over a week now. Yuck.

"Care to elaborate?" I raise a brow. "Maybe also explain what you're doing in New York?"

"I told you on the phone. I had an appointment. I'll only be staying for the night, if that's okay with you. If not I can just book a room at a motel."

"Don't be ridiculous. Of course you can stay. You can have my bed and I'll stay with Gen or Orla for the night." I smile.

"Why are you smiling? And why are you being so friendly? I've been here for five minutes and you haven't insulted me at least once. In fact, you don't even react to my insults, so what is going on? Are you sick?" There's actual worry in his eyes and when I don't reply because I don't know how, he starts leaning over, "Isla, I am serious. Are you okay? What is going on?"

I take a deep breath. I can do this.

I did anal, so now I am invincibility.

"Did mom ever tell you or dad why we had an argument?" A while after mom went back home, I got a call from my siblings and my dad, asking me what went down since mom wouldn't talk. I never told them the truth and since no one ever brought it up again I assumed that she just decided not to tell them.

"No."

I take another breath, "I have to tell you something regarding my life but you have to promise me that you won't freak out. I promise it's nothing terrible but it's really weird talking about it with you and.. just listen before you react. Okay? Promise?"

"You're scaring me, Isla. But okay, I promise."

"Do you remember Bucky?"

"Bucky?"

"James." I clarify. It's weird switching between names but his nickname means a lot to him so I have to respect that.

"Yeah, of course. How's he doing? Is he alright?"