47

"I can't believe you're here. Did you come all the way to Carolina just because of New Year's?"

"'Just' because of you? I'd do anything for you." He brushes the hair strands out of my face, tucking them behind my ear. "You can't just go away for weeks and expect me not to miss you like crazy."

"You seemed pretty happy when we last talked."

"I was going insane without you, Isla."

"This is seriously not healthy, Mr. Barnes. You shouldn't get this attached to a person. As hot and lovable as she may be." I tease him, kissing him again. "Jokes aside, I missed you, too. How long will you stay?"

"I booked a room at a hotel nearby. You said you'd be back in three days?"

I nod.

"Then I'll stay three days."

"Isla?" My mother calls me. I push Bucky behind the wall so she doesn't see him. "Isla, are you back there?"

"I'll be right back. Stay here, okay? And don't get caught." I give him a kiss on the cheek before running back to my family.

"Where have you been?"

"Wasn't feeling well. Happy New Year, mother." I hug her and she wraps her arms around me. This is the first time in months that she hugged me. Don't cry, Isla. "Where is dad?"

"Logan and Lola got scared because of the fireworks so he brought them to bed."

"I'll go to aunt Dana and Gen." I announce before running towards them. "Aunt Dana!" I hug her tightly. "Happy New Year."

"Happy New Year, my love."

My body gets pulled back by Gen. "Bitch! Happy New Year!" She hugs me and then lowers her voice, "Did you fuck?"

"Behind the house? Against a wall? With my parents a few feet away?" I sarcastically ask.

"You also nearly had phone sex the other day when your whole family was downstairs." She reminds me. "Maybe you are also into public sex."

"Stop thinking about my sex life so much." I playfully hit her and walk towards my brother and Ryan, kneeling down next to them. They're placing all the fireworks into a line. "Happy New Year, boys."

"Happy New Year." They say at the same time.

Ryan hands me the lighter. "Wanna blow something up?"

"Maybe later." There's a hot guy waiting behind my house. I tell my mom that I will go to bed but head out through the back entrance. "Bucky? Buck?"

"Here." He appears in the dark scaring me.

"You wanna come up?"

"To your house?"

"Yeah, I am sharing a room with Gen and she won't mind. Come." I grab his hand and pull him in. "Wait here. My father is upstairs. When I say 'apple' go upstairs to the last room on the floor on the left side. You'll know it's my room."

"Your mother will kill me if she finds me in here."

"She won't find out." I guarantee. "Remember: Apple." I go downstairs, checking for my father until I find him sitting next to Lola's bed reading her a bedtime story. "Happy New Year, dad." I whisper.

"Happy New Year. Why aren't you downstairs with the rest?"

"I am exhausted. Wanted to head to bed early." I take a step back so that I am standing next to the stairs. "We need to go to the market tomorrow and buy apples."