25

Bucky's POV

I officially lost my mind. What am I even doing standing in front of her door debating whether I should knock or not. I made up my mind. I promised myself that I would stay away from her because those feelings aren't okay. She's seeing someone and I am in no place for anything serious. She deserves someone better, someone like Adrian.

I turn around and walk towards my door. Finally a reasonable decision. But on the other hand, I don't know for sure if he's going to treat her how she deserves to be treated. Besides, she said that she wasn't sure if she was interested in him that way so maybe they're not even dating.

But she would've called me or texted me then? Right? Or maybe she realised that she was wrong ad she actually liked him and that's why she stays away from me. You stayed away from her as well. What the fuck is this? I'm not some sixteen year old kid anymore. Next thing I know I'm gonna be picking a petal off a flower and say she loves me, she loves me not.

Get your shit together and man up. I have to make a final decision.

I will leave her alone. That's my decision. I-

Shit. Too late.

"Oh, hey." I greet her. She flinches when she hears my voice.

"Shit, you startled me." She looks up and meets my eyes.

"Sorry, I didn't mean to." And I certainly didn't mean to come off as a creepy stalker who's waiting for you.

"It's fine. I was just distracted so I didn't expect you to be here. How have you been? We haven't talked in days." She leans against her door and plays with her hands which tells me she's as nervous and uncomfortable as I am. It is weird. Nothing really happened, no fight, nothing. But it still feels like we had this huge argument and are on bad terms ever since.

"Just, you know... the usual stuff. Working and all that." And thinking of ways to approach you. "How are you doing?"

"Great. Really great, um..." She stutters. "Gen is staying over for a while so it's great to have company and all."

"That's..." Don't say it, "great."

"Yeah." She nods and bites down on her lower lip, avoiding eye contact.

"Were you going somewhere?" There it is. There goes my plan to pretend not to care.

"I was just quickly doing downstairs to meet a friend." She answers but there's something about the way she said 'friend' that makes me believe it's not just a friend she's meeting.

And when footsteps approach from the elevator, my theory proves well-founded. A tall similar figure with blonde hair appears, a confused expression on his face, eyes wandering from her to me. "Hey."

"Adrian, hey." Her voice is low, almost breaking. "I thought you were going to wait downstairs."

"Yes, but when you didn't show I thought I'd check." He replies to her but looks at me.

"I was going to go anyway." I announce and turn around towards my apartment.

"Wait." Isla speaks. "Did you want something? Were you headed to my apartment?"

"No." I lie. "Good night to the both of you." I close the door behind me and let out a deep breath I didn't even know I was holding. This was probably one of the most awkward interactions I had in a while, and that means a lot coming from me.
I should've known that they were going to work out. Why did I ever think she'd actually not like him? He's perfect for her. Maybe it was wishful thinking. Still I could've gone without seeing them together. Not that it bothered me.