𝐧𝐨𝐭 𝐟𝐥𝐢𝐫𝐭𝐢𝐧𝐠

Noise.

So much noise.

I hate school.

"Tell me again why you're wearing that," One of my best friends, Kate, says to me as I roughly try to pull down my skirt. "Because it's required, Kate. You think I'd come to school and voluntarily wear something that flashes my ass to the world?!"

I'm wearing a cheer uniform. Kate has one on as well, just the normal size.

"Looking good, August," the douchebag of the school, Peter, says to me as he walks by with the other football jackasses. "Suck a dick, Zach," I respond to him, earning whistles from his friends.

"Why didn't you just wear your backups?" Kate asks me as we continue walking. I sigh. "These are my backups, Kate. I just haven't worn them since the ninth grade."

Walking deeper into the hallway, we approach Deena viewing the small memorial at Heather's locker. Kate and I share a knowing look and grin.

Kate goes behind one side of Deena as I go behind the other.

Kate and I both grab onto our friend's shoulder at the same time. Kate makes ghost noises while I start speaking. "You see? It's the witch bitch. Sarah Fier's back," I say, Deena flinching.

Deena turns around to look at us. "Oh Christ, not you guys, too."

I laugh and Kate drags us both to the nearest bathroom.

As we enter, I notice someone vandalized the bathroom doors with red spray paint.

Typical.

The tardy bell rings as the door slams shut.

"She reaches from beyond the grave to make good men her wicked slaves!" Kate says, in a creepy voice, reading what the person wrote on the stalls.

I laugh at her antics before someone opens the bathroom stall door right next to me.

"She'll take your blood!"

I scream and look to my left to find Simon standing next to me. "Si!" I yell at him, punching his shoulder. He grabs my wrist and continues. "She'll take your head. She'll follow you until you're dead!"

I force my wrist out of his hand and shove him off of me as he reels his head back in laughter. "You're a child," I say to him with no expression on my face. "And you're cute that you think you could hurt me with that punch of yours," He claps back.

"You guys are dicks," Deena says.

"It's just fun," defends Kate.

"It's sick."

"What?!" Simon yells. "The dude was wearing a Halloween skull mask. How is that not fun?"

"People died," Deena says, sharply. "Heather died. The dude was probably just some sad sack who hated his life, just like the rest of us, except he decided, 'Hey, why don't I get out of here for good?' And, 'Hey, why don't I take Heather and a couple other mall rats with me?' There's no angry dead witch who made him go postal. The only thing that made him go crazy is this town."

Silence.

"Are you okay?" Kate asks Deena.

"Yeah, I'm fine," Deena responds.

"Seems like, maybe you got a little witch in you," Simon says, causing Deena to laugh.

Deena turns back around and looks at the mirror as she strikes up a conversation with Kate about her ex, Sam.

"Why are you even in here, Si? This is the girls' bathroom," I tell him, as he gets up on the toilet seat and picks up a box that was sitting in the air vent.

He hops back down with the box in his hands and analyzes me. His eyebrows furrow. "Why are you wearing that?"

I let out an aggravated huff.

"Because it's required-"

"You know what I mean, Auggie," He says to me with a smirk plastered on his face. "I mean, I don't mind the change at all, really. But I'm just wondering what made you so confident all of a sudden?"

"My other uniform tore last cheer practice and they don't have any uniforms my size right now, so I have to wear my old uniform from the ninth grade, asshole."

He licks his lips. "You should just wear this uniform from now on. Take my advice, sweetheart. You look wayyy better in this one-"

"Simon! Stop flirting with August and give me the box!" Kate yells, cutting Simon off. Simon rolls his eyes. "Please," he says, walking towards Kate. "I'm not flirting with her. I just like when she wears less clothes," Simon says while handing Kate the box.

"I hate you," I say, my body betraying me as my cheeks turn red.

Simon laughs and shakes his head. "You don't."

"I do."

"That's not the only time you'll be saying that to me-"

"You're dealing again?!" Deena yells at Kate, who covers her mouth. "Shh! Keep it down."

Deena removes Kate's hand from her face.

"I thought you stopped after this dingus's brother," Deena points to Simon, "OD'd."

"Timmy wasn't a real OD," Kate says, to which Deena scoffs.

"I mean," I start, walking closer to Kate and Simon. "She's not wrong Deena. He didn't even die. They brought him back."

Simon imitates someone being brought back to life and I have to physically restrict myself from laughing.

"You guys are morons," Deena says with a smile on her face.

We start to walk out of the bathroom when Deena goes on a rant. "Which one of us is valedictorian, again? And the president of every club this shit hole has to offer. I'm getting out of here. Off to claim my place among the stars, bitch."

As we exit the bathroom, a boy with a fake dummy bolts past us. Simon pulls me out of the way, by my waist, before the teenager has a chance to run into me.

"Woo! The witch lives! Long live Sarah Fier! Woo!" the teenager yells. "Yeah!" Simon yells back, laughing, with his hand still resting on my waist.

Internal sigh.

This is gonna be a long day.