chapter thirty nine

"you almost ready?" weston calls from the other side of my bedroom door.

i turn off my curling iron and let out an annoyed sigh. "um, sort of. actually can you come in?"

weston enters the room and closes it quietly behind him. he sees me sitting at my desk, obviously frustrated. "what's wrong?"

"i don't know what to wear," i say, sort of eyeing his outfit. he's wearing white shorts and a brown checkered sweater. casual, but it makes sense. he's getting on a flight tonight. 

i'm trying not to think about that part. 

he walks over to my closet and turns on the light. "just wear something normal."

"what's kalynn wearing?" i ask. 

he stops what he's doing to think about it. "loose jeans, a tank top, and a cardigan thing over it."

i nod. "i could've guessed."

"yeah," he replies, going back to searching through my hangers. "what about this?"

weston holds up a black v-neck, and it's honestly not bad. i shrug. 

"that works. i'll just wear some shorts with it and we're good."

he smiles and hands out the shirt to me. "i'll meet you downstairs." with a quick kiss on the cheek, he's out of the room in less than a second. 

i change clothes and take one last look in the mirror. while fixing some awkwardly placed hairs nervously, i take a deep breath. it's kalynn's party and kalynn's day. i have to make sure it's perfect for her. 

i swallow hard before opening my bedroom door and rushing down the stairs. it's 11:50, so we still have 10 minutes until she arrives. 

"is everyone ready? everyone good? snacks are out? we're good?" i pace around the kitchen anxiously, rearranging some things on the counter. 

"everything is fine, relax," weston breathes into my ear, putting a hand on my shoulder.

i stare straight ahead, locking eyes with the cabinets in front of me. after a moment, i look down at the floor and bite the inside of my cheek. "okay. okay."

i turn around to see colin, weston, and my mom in the room around me. they're smiling at me like i did something spectacular. 

"what?" i ask unsurely.

but then i peer around at all the decorations and balloons, and i get it. 

"i'm proud of you," my mom says. "i'm proud of all of you guys."

i smile. "i'm proud of us too."

weston and colin smile back, and we stay like that for awhile. i can't believe it's my last day with all these people that i love so much. the idea hasn't hit me entirely yet, and it so subtly climbs to the front of my mind every once in awhile. 

and while i'm looking at weston and he's looking back at me, i can't even imagine how we could ever be apart from each other. it's barely possible for us to live in houses right next to each other without having sleepovers every other night. how were we going to do this?

i break our eye contact out of fear and fix the presents arrangement on the coffee table, barely moving them a centimeter. it's obvious i'm doing this as a form of distraction, but everyone ignores it - or pretends to ignore it.

the door swings open with a creak and i whip around to see kalynn entering with her parents. her eyes scan around the house as she marvels at our work on the decorations. "wow, look at this place!"