Traitor Pt. 4

"Stay down. Final warning." said Tony.

Steve laid on the ground, unable to move. He was disoriented. Even when he tried to move, he could not. It was like his body refused.

Tony turned around seeing that Steve was down. There laid Bucky, bloody and wounded. His metal arm had been blown off. The only part that remained was his shoulder. Looking down at Bucky, Tony was ready to kill him. No one was here to stop him. Lifting his arm, he got ready to shoot.

Bang. Bang. Bang.

Katherine, at the top of the concrete hill, shot Tony three times. After Bucky had told her to leave, she could not. She made it about halfway, and then she turned around. After all, she had done, she had to prove to herself and to Bucky that she cared. He was all she had left.

The bullets did not do much to Tony. They fell to the floor after contact. Katherine would have needed something a lot stronger than a handgun if she wanted to make a difference. Shifting his arm, Tony now aimed at her, and Bucky was aware of this.

Reaching for his leg, he tried to trip him. But, he failed. Tony looked down at Bucky and kicked him in the face. Causing him to groan in pain. Then, he lifted his arm up again and shot Katherine.

Instantly she flew back from the impact. It was not enough to kill her, but it was enough to take her down. Her body slammed against the concrete and knocked her out.

While Tony was distracted by Katherine and Bucky. Steve mustered all his strength and lifted him up off the ground. From this, Tony activated his boots in an attempt to fly away. But it worked against him. Instead, from Steve's grip, Tony went flying into the ground.

Bucky rolled over to face Katherine. Slowly crawling toward her, he said, "Katherine." But, there was no response. Her hair was covering her face. Reaching out to her, Bucky moved her hair to see her clearly. Katherine's eyes were closed; it was clear that she was knocked out.

Steve had now dismantled Tony's suit. Striking the center with his shield, it was over. Without his suit, Tony would not fight anymore. Tony was shocked at Steve's action. There was a face of regret and guilt on Steve's.

Standing up, Steve pulled the shield out of Tony's suit. Then, he dropped it. The shield that stood for everything he was, Steve let go of it. He knew Tony would not let him take it. Howard did make it, after all.

Going to Bucky, Steve saw him facing Katherine. He helped him up off the ground. Bucky did not even process it at first.

"Wait, wait." said Bucky.

"No Buck...no"

Steve knew who Katherine was. And he knew that she made her choice. Regardless if she changed, she was a part of this. The fall of the Avengers. What he did not understand was Bucky still trying to be with her.

They walked away. Bucky kept his eyes on Katherine, refusing to look away. I promised, I promised her, he thought. He told her they would get out of here together. But, here he was, leaving her behind. Every part of him wanted to push Steve away and go to her. However, he couldn't. As they left the area, Bucky only felt guilt and shame.

Katherine groaned as she woke up. Rolling over to her left, she expected to see Bucky. But, she was only met with a defeated Tony. He was sitting on the floor a few feet from her.

"Did you really think he would help you?" said Tony.

He was clearly referring to Bucky. Tony knew she was a part of this the whole time. It was wise to use Bucky the way she did. But, even after betraying him, did she think he would help her? Well, Katherine did think so. That is at least what he said. Bucky told her they would get out of here together. What a lie.

Katherine looked at the ground. She could not manage to look at Tony. To let him see her defeated. He lied, she thought. Should she be surprised? No. However, she was.

"What did you think would happen?" said Tony.

It was clear he was mocking her. Now he was standing and hovering above her. From his mockery, Katherine now looked up at Tony. There was a cold look in her eyes. There was no emotion. The person she loved left her, lied to her.

Everything he said was to get her to tell him their plan and help Steve. It was never about them, about her and Bucky. For him, it was only about Steve.

"I guess it doesn't matter. You will face your crimes." said Tony.

Grabbing Katherine by the arm, he forced her up off the ground. Katherine did not fight; she knew she was defeated. The only thought in her mind was her dad. She wondered where he was. If he made it out. Or if he was caught just like her.

~

Katherine was shoved into the aircraft by Tony. Next to her was her father. Zemo just sat there. Only looking forward. Giving a quick glance at him, Katherine returned her gaze to her lap. She hated herself at this moment.

"You were right," she said.

Zemo gave a shocked look to himself. He knew what she was talking about. The warning he gave to Katherine came true. James used her for his own means.

"They are all the same...they-they just use you for their own goals and then leave you behind."

Hearing how broken Katherine sounded, Zemo looked at her. Even though he was hurt by her choosing James. She was still his daughter. He would never wish this upon her. Yet, it happened. All he could do is be there for her. Since they may never get to see each other again.

Katherine's gaze remained in her lap. Then she felt a hand holding hers. It was her father's. Looking up and at him. Zemo gave a sad and sorry look. She knew he forgave her. No words were needed between them.

"You were right, he...he didn't deserve my love."

Zemo squeezed her hand tight. It was clear Katherine was hurting. He just needed to be there for her. They both needed each other.

"I love you, Katherine," said Zemo.

"I love you."

From his words, she gave a small smile. It was good to hear those words. She should have never believed Bucky. That was her mistake. In her mind, she was a fool for trusting him. For thinking they could really be together. He played the game well. Bucky might have won the battle. But, Katherine and Zemo won the war. The Avengers were gone, destroyed.

Plus, it was only fair. Bucky used Katherine, as she did to him.