Forever

The first impression Lisa has of Jennie is that the human princess is small, messy, and someone really should wipe her nose for her.

As a minor Lady, Lisa has no obligation to greet the visiting mortals; she's only sitting in the Great Hall because she's bored. Therefore, she's surprised when the entire fairy court turns to look at her in her corner — and even more surprised when the royal child struts forward and stops right in front of her.

"We're going to get married when I'm bigger," announces Princess Jennie.

The child is tiny, her braid is hanging loose, and her robes are stained with what Lisa suspects is jam; the image, combined with the declaration in that confident, squeaky voice, is so hilarious that Lisa almost laughs out loud.

Thankfully, she remembers just in time that the whole court and all of the human King's retinue are watching. So Lisa inclines her head as politely as she can and says,

"Maybe we'll see in another few years, your highness."

The little princess looks so proud that Lisa has to bite her tongue to stop from giggling.

When the news breaks out that the human King and Queen were bringing their daughter to see her fairy godmother, Lisa is a little curious. It's been five years, the Princess is now eleven — would she still remember what she said back then?

Probably not, thinks Lisa, smiling to herself. After all, it was just a child's whimsical fancy. Lisa decides not to attend the banquet, choosing instead to finish weaving the cloth she hopes to give to Momo on her hundredth birthday.

She's thinking fondly about her younger cousin when a patter of footsteps makes her turn around. There, standing in the doorway of her house, is Princess Jennie. She's taller now, but no more refined; her hair's still wild and her boots muddy. Lisa hasn't even opened her mouth when Jennie crosses her arms.

"You're not at my party," the Princess says sulkily.

"I'm sorry, your highness. I wasn't invited," says Lisa. It wasn't exactly true, but it wasn't a lie either. The child probably wouldn't catch it.

"Of course you are! I'm going to marry you!"

Taken aback by the ferocity in Jennie's eyes, Lisa covers up her shock with a slight bow. "I apologize, your highness. I hope you have a happy birthday."

The child seems a little appeased. Lisa tries not to wince as the Princess trots across the pristine floor with her boots still on, tracking dirty footprints all over the marble. Jennie stops just in front of Lisa's work station and points.

"What's that for?"

"It's a loom," says Lisa, humoring the child. "I'm making a gift for my friend's birthday."

"What about my birthday? It's my birthday today."

"Oh, well—" Princess Jennie pulls herself up to her full height. "I'm eleven today. That's a lot of years. How old are you?"

"I'm two hundred and twenty-eight." Lisa expects some surprise from the child, maybe a gasp, or a disbelieving look.

Instead, the Princess nods and says, "That's okay. You look like you're twenty, like my lady-in-waiting. Her name is Rosie and she's taller than you."

"Oh," says Lisa, a little lost. "That's nice."

"If you're twenty, and I'm eleven, we can get married. Rosie said so."

Lisa is increasingly unsure about this Rosie person. "I'm not twenty, though, your highness. And even if I was, I'm fairly certain that's not how marriage works."