Chapter 11- Cigarettes

That morning you decided to be spontaneous, so you got dressed and went to town to go shopping. You knew what you wanted to get, but you still flowed in and out of different shops because you had nothing else better to do.

You met Richard at one of the stores and he walked with you for a while because he had some free time until he had to get back to do something for his family. He told you that he was in New York for a family summer vacation. He lived in New York, but on the other side of the state, twice as far from Pennsylvania.

"What are you going to get?" He asked.

"Just a gift for a friend." You responded so it didn't seem so important. You also didn't want him to keep asking you questions about it.

"That's very thoughtful." He smiled and dropped the subject.

He went on talking about everything and nothing at the same time which you didn't mind since it filled up the empty space, but nothing too important to solely focus on. When it came time to leave, he kissed you on the cheek and waved goodbye. He asked to see you again late, but you said you weren't sure when you would have time.

You finally found the object you were looking for in the last store you walked into. It was a gold plated cigarette box, with room for a few cigarettes and a lighter. It had a red velvet lining on the inside and was perfect.

By the time you were leaving town, it was turning into noon and the sun was shining down brightly on you and your new purchase. When you arrived back at the house, Carol wasn't in sight so you laid the cigarette case on her dresser, where you knew she would see it and changed into your swimsuit to go waste time in the pond.

Eliane and Alicia were working on wedding details in the kitchen as you were leaving and they informed you that Carol and Abby were at the beach. You decided to let them be and you would be just fine at the pond.

You jumped in head first and let the temperature of the warm water cool you off from the blazing sun that had been burning into your skin. You let the pond wash away the dirt from walking around in town and the germs from everything and everyone you had come into contact with.

You noticed that Carol and Abby were walking back to the house, but Carol headed towards the pond as Abby went in through the back door. Carol was still in her bathing suit, you could tell from the outlines of the water that were seeping through her dress she had put on over top.

"Why didn't you come to the beach?" She asked with not much importance.

"I didn't want to bother you." You said, stroking the water with your arms.

"I told Elaine to let you know-"

"She told me." You treaded the water and looked down at your misshapen body from the water's refraction of the light coming from the sun.

"You should have stopped by then." She said, turning around and heading inside.

You stayed in the water for a while longer before going inside. When you did, it was time to eat, so you got a quick shower to rinse off the pond water and met everyone at the table.

"Y/N, you got a call today." Alicia stated across the table. "It was from Dannie."

"Oh." You were caught by surprise. Dannie normally didn't care what you did while away for the summer. Maybe because it had been so long since you had been back. Maybe he wanted to check up on you, or he forgot you were there at all.

"He had mentioned something about his father's business, but that boy speaks so quickly, it is difficult to comprehend it all." Alicia laughed, but everyone knew that she just didn't want to pay attention to what he had to say. "Anyways, he asked for you to call him back soon."

"Alright, yeah. I will." You said. You didn't know if you actually were going to or just leave it until you saw him after summer ended.

"Make sure to tell him that Carol still doesn't like him." Abby burst out into a fit of laughs and you couldn't help but smile. Alicia was trying to hold back her laugh and not succeeding very well while Carol looked proud of herself. Elaine was hiding herself behind her hair. You could see that she was still embarrassed about the last time Dannie was here.

When everyone was finished eating, Carol tapped you on the shoulder and motioned for you to follow her, so you did. She led you upstairs to her room and she shut the door behind you.

"Thank you, by the way." She went over to her dresser and picked up the cigarette box.

"Oh, you're welcome." You blushed.

"I love it." She said as she held it close to her chest as if she were hugging it.

"I'm glad." You smiled.

"You didn't have to." Carol paused, deep in thought. "You know what? How much was it? I'll pay you back."

"No, that's not necessary, Carol." You looked down at the floor. What a plain and boring color the carpet was.

"Well, how should I repay you then?" She looked at you for the answer.

You paused, your thoughts running miles in your head. This was one of those moments in life that could have the effect of a lifetime. One thing could result in an explosion of fireworks. Or one wrong move and you would forever shame yourself. You always thought that you wouldn't be aware of those moments that have such a large impact, but you could feel the pressure pushing down on your body and making you feel slow.

"Kiss me." You whispered.