Chapter 16

Ryan's POV

"It just doesn't make any sense," Alastor said to me as he applied more gel to his hair. He played with his tie and adjusted it before turning to face me. "How do you think the demons of the council will react?"

I thought for a moment before forming a response. "Frankly, I don't give a shit what the council thinks. My father is retiring soon and I'll be their Lucifer. They should be scared to question me." I traced my finger around my whiskey glass and glared at him.

"I'm just saying this is dangerous. That's all," Alastor hummed before staring at the various paintings on my wall. Demons of mythology and numerous folklores remained on the works of art. Krampus, a demon from German mythology was my most favorite piece. Alastor's eyes lingered on that work of art for some time. "May I meet her?" His question caught me off guard.

I hated the thought of Alastor seeing Megan - not because I was insecure, but more so because she was mine and he wasn't a character to be messed with. Dangling a pretty little human would trigger his hunger and inability to control himself. As long as I was in the room, perhaps there was no problem. "Sure. She should be here any second now."

Alastor smiled and continued to admire the paintings while I sipped on my drink. I heard a few knocks on the door and raised a brow at Alastor. "Behave yourself," I said before nodding my head at him. He opened the door, allowing Megan to make an entrance and an undeniably attractive one at that.

She was wearing a silk red dress that was tight in all the right places, remaining loose down her legs. Her chest was revealed and I knew Alastor was getting too much of a look. Her hair was curled to perfection, hanging down her back with two braids tied back. And her makeup only enhanced her already perfect cheekbones. I couldn't stop gawking at her.

"That's enough Alastor," I said, sitting up and adjusting my tie before walking up to Megan and grabbing her hand. "Megan this is Alastor, an old colleague of mine. Alastor, this is Megan, my date for this evening's ball."

Alastor looked Megan up and down with hungry eyes before stating, "she sure is a fine dime." His eyes met mine again before he placed his glass on the nearest coffee table. "I best get going. It was nice meeting you Megan. I'll be seeing the both of you tonight."

I waved him off as he politely exited the room. Megan turned and faced me with big innocent eyes that made me want to tie her to my desk and pound her relentlessly, until she was shaking. My dirty mind escalated quickly but I didn't let it get the best of me. "You look beautiful."

She smiled and her cheeks turned a light shade of pink. "You're looking handsome," she said nervously. I could almost hear her bite on her own cheek which caused me to release a soft chuckle.

"Are you ready?" I asked her, offering her my arm for her to intertwine hers with. She hooked hers with mine and nodded her head.

*

It was roughly 9 pm and the towers of Hell were packed with old acquaintances and partners with whom I shared business with. Megan had followed me around as I had informed her too. I had a glass of wine in my right hand so I could firmly shake the hands of others. Few people had commented about Megan, to which I replied about her being my pet. Though she was my date technically I couldn't let it be known to others who held high authority to my status. Most demons however could detect the scent of a human and had no comments to add, knowing she had far less value than the rest of us. I could still hear some of the nasty demon's thoughts and it made my inner devil growl inside at the thought of anyone touching her. I couldn't let my possessiveness show through.

"Ryan," someone said from afar. I peered my head over the demons and friends before me to see Alexander, the 2nd tier of the council. "'Tis a pleasure to see you once again, as always," he said as he paced forward through the crowd to take my hand.