Chapter Eight : Healing a whole in the heart

30 July 2011

It was the day before they were leaving on their holiday to Kenya.  Evelyn couldn't believe how fast it crept up on them.  Before she knew it the trip to Africa was finally here!  She had been planning slightly what they would do as they always liked to have some idea.  William had taken care of lodging as he told her they were staying on a reserve that also had a place for them to sleep at.  It was called Angama Mara located in Suswa Mara Triangle and though the couple had never stayed there before - they had looked it up online and read excellent reviews and seen amazing pictures that sold them instantly.  

It had everything you could possibly need.

And it was also closest to the Jomo Kenyatta International Airport, which was nice.  One of the reasons they also chose this place was because how peaceful and relaxing it looked and also that scenes from the movie Out of Africa were filmed there.  The safari lodge was described as a lodge somewhere between heaven and earth.  They knew instantly that they would all love it there.  

Natasha and Peter were tempted to invite themselves as they knew how important this trip would be - but they ultimately concluded they didn't want to intrude.  Even though Evelyn herself invited them - the more the merrier was how the couple looked at this trip.  They politely declined, wanting them to have their alone time and with friends, knowing they would celebrate with them when they returned.  

Today was Zara and Mike's wedding as William, Harry and even Kate were in attendance.  Kate went to support Zara as even though she was broken up with William she was still close with Zara.  She loved the tall leggy blonde and looked up to her as did Evelyn.  

Evelyn was now at the ranch where Chanel was kept and she was looking forward to riding her.  It's been a while but she would still always come to visit her when she did.  Since she's an older horse - she's now seventeen, she didn't want to overdo it with her.  But she felt like riding was long overdue.  She could feel the gravel crunch under her car as she spotted it and the open pastures.  

"Hi Evelyn, how're you?" Melissa asked the blonde after she had parked her car and was making her way into the barn.

"I'm well and you?"

"Doing good.  Chanel's ready for you."

"Thanks," she smiled at the red head as she made her way in.

Her riding boots were on as she always made sure to wear them whilst she would spend her time here at the ranch.  Chanel was a beautiful horse.  Black and white spotted all over and her mane was black bringing out the icy blue of her eyes.  She had what seemed to be shaped as a diamond on her forehead in the center that was white.  

"Hey girl, did ya miss me?" Evelyn asked her horse as she reached her stall making Chanel let out a noise as she laughed.  "I missed you too," she rubbed her forehead and the horse lowered her head, enjoying the feeling of having her owner close to her.

"Let me get your saddle over here and get you set up then we can go on a ride," Chanel's ears perked up at the word 'ride' and Evelyn let out a laugh.  "Yeah, you'll like that.  Huh pretty girl?"  Chanel let out a snort and Evelyn got the saddle from where it was hanging up and grabbed a head collar rope to put on her before walking her out and tying it to a pole so that she could brush her.  

Evelyn used the comb to go over all the areas on her horse except her head and lower legs as she brushed her whilst Chanel would move every once in while.  She then went in with a soft brush and removed anything that was left behind.  After she brushed her, she cleaned her sheath area and then lastly checked each foot to clean all of the hoofs with a pick.  Eve also made sure to to detangle her mane if there were any knots.  After she made sure everything was checked off, she got the saddle and put it on Chanel making sure it was on nicely and headed out in the pasture area.