Chapter XXI

Winter stepped into the lab.

She couldn't help feeling pity, as she saw Raphael, Michelangelo, and Donatello in their glass prisons, arms restrained in a spread formation, with needles in their arms to extract their blood.

She sighed. "I hope you understand why I have to do this."

Raph glared at her through the glass in rage. "And what if I don't?"

"Then I'll explain," Winter said. "We humans are cruel creatures. We believe ourselves to be superior."

She gestured for one of the Foot Soldiers to begin extracting the turtles' blood. He pressed a button on a computer, and the turtles immediately felt the strange feeling of their blood draining from their bodies.

"But we're not," Winter continued. "Faunus are evolved forms of human, in terms of senses, aura, and bodily functions. This includes the blood cells defending their bodies from harmful bacteria."

Raphael glared at her, as he began to process what she was explaining.

"This means that their bodies can not only resist the mutation Dust in your blood, they can also be improved by it. Humans... not so much... I still remember father's sick testing on humans... I had nightmares for months..."

Raphael looked around to see his brothers fighting to keep from passing out in the glass boxes beside him.

"So, in a few hours, your blood will be brought to the Schnee Dust Company Tower in Vale. It will be dispersed as a toxin, and the humans of the kingdom will be killed."

She turned back to see Raph's glare still present, clearly even more angered by her explanation. She approached his box, and placed a hand on the glass.

"I really am sorry," she said. "I know you'll never forgive me... I'm having a hard time forgiving myself..."

Raphael glared at her, and smiled as he noticed the holes in the glass meant to give him oxygen. Using all of his concentration, Raph spit through the glass, hitting Winter on the cheek.

She simply wiped off the spit, and turned around to walk away.

"Don't kill them," she said to a Foot Soldier. "They are still living creatures."

The soldier nodded, and Winter walked off.

Raphael turned to look at Donatello, only to see an empty glass box where Leonardo would have been.

He lowered his head as he thought of him, wishing he could see him one last time, just to tell him he was sorry.

Just one more time...