Nineteen

While away from the team...

Carol Danvers finds and meets up with Gwen by using her senses to connect with her brain waves. She knew of her past and she knew what type of magic to look for. When finding her, she helps her to control her emotions— to not connect her powers and magic through emotion, but through her mind. Controlling through emotion is what causes chaos—emotions can be unpredictable—changing within an instant, which causes chaos within the flow of energy within. Shuri taught her this, T'Challa trained her for this. Only, she obviously didn't absorb it all. So, now Carol is here to teach her what everyone else couldn't.

A distant relative of Carol Danvers. During her father's time in the war, he ended up falling for one of the nurses. A few months after he died in 1941, she found out she was pregnant. Never being able to find Gwen for her to meet her baby sister, the nurse raised her daughter alone, giving her Gwen's middle name as a memory to her lover and the two girls' father. In 1964, the nurse's daughter gave birth to a baby girl, passing her name down to her, another Carol Danvers. Only, no one realized that this Carol Danvers was destined to become Captain Marvel.

"So, Fury sent you to find me?" Gwen asked during one of their breaks. She picked at her food, not sure what it was. Where she was staying was so far off the grid, the small village took her in without question when she showed up during a storm seeking shelter.

Carol nodded, "Pretty much, yes. After Bruce explained to me in detail what happened to you and why you ran, twice," she looked up at Gwen, "I wanted to help. Then Fury told me who you were, your full name. That's when I decided to look into how we were related. I didn't have to look very far, Fury handed me a file with any information I'd want to find."

"I can't believe I didn't piece this together myself."

"To be fair, you were frozen for a few decades, how would you have known? And it's not like The Avenger's and I meet for coffee every week. Fury is the only one here that can contact me directly."

"Yeah, but your name, it's literally in my name. How did none of them put it together?" Gwen's brows furrowed as she continued pushing the food around on her plate.

"Bruce did. You have to think, the team was so occupied with getting a handle on what happened to you at the same time with trying to remove The Winter Soldier from your friend's brain."

The mention of Bucky made Gwen look up, Carol gave her a small smile knowingly. Avoiding any further conversation of Bucky, she stood, scraped her food into the leftover bin for the animals, and returned her dishes to the wash bin. Carol did the same.

"I'd like to take you Skrullos."

Confused, Gwen looked to Carol with an arched eyebrow, "Where?"

Carol's brows raised in shock, "You've never heard of Skrulls?"

"Can't say that I have." Gwen shrugged.

"Right then. Are you willing to go to a different galaxy?"

This stopped Gwen mid-step, "Galaxy? As in outer space?"

Smiling at her in amusement, Carol nodded.

"Could I even survive up there? You know, without the whole astronaut get-up?"

"Gwen, you are capable of so much more than you know. You're just scared, you're holding back in fear of hurting someone. I feel if you were somewhere, you could let yourself go, really tune in to the extent of your abilities, you'd fully control everything."

Breathing in a deep breath, Gwen nodded. She trusted Carol, if she felt leaving Earth was the best thing for her, that's what she would do.

"Will I be able to come home?"