Forty-Two

Bucky had been driving for a good twenty minutes before either of them spoke. Gwen reached over and took his right hand from the steering wheel, forcing him to readjust his left one on it.

Entwining their fingers together, she held his hand in her lap as she smiled at him. She couldn't believe the day she had. She got to spend the day with him, the entire day! He took her to her first concert, one of her favorite bands, and bought her a meet and greet with them. She was riding a high that she never wanted to come down from.

Running through the entire time with Saturn Mutants, she laughed at how competitive Orion was at Call of Duty. She'd enjoy playing against him again, if the chance were to ever rise again. Laughing at the banter between the band members, she thought over the questions. She remembered someone asking who Bucky was. She wished he'd have mingled a little more, but she appreciated allowing her to have her moment.

It donned on her what her answer was to the question. Slowly, she turned to look at him to gauge how he was acting. He seemed just fine, smiling even. He squeezed her hand while glancing over at her. When he noticed her 'look in headlights' expression, his brows pulled in with concern.

"What's wrong, doll?"

How does she bring it up if he hasn't yet? Does he want to ignore it because he's not ready for that?

When she didn't answer, he chanced another look at her. She sat staring straight ahead in deep thought.

"Hey,"

His voice pulled her from her daze. Glancing over at him, she smiled unsure of what to say.

"What's going on in that pretty little brain of yours?"

Chuckling and shaking her head, Gwen decided it was now or never. The two of them needed to figure out where this was going either way.

"During the meet and greet," she started, but wasn't sure of how to get to where she needed to be.

Bucky slowly pulled off to the side of the road confusing her.

"What are you doing?"

He held their interlocked hands up, "Your thumb is going to rub its way through my hand if we don't talk about what's bothering you."

Removing her hand from his, she apologized for her nervous tick.

Parking the car, he turned to face her better. "What's going on?"

Gwen swallowed nervously. "Back there, when I was asked who you were..."

"Ahh. I thought this might be what was bothering you."

When she looked at him, he was smiling. "Did you mean it?" He asked, unsure if it was a slip of the tongue or not.

"Do you want me to mean it?"

Gwen laughed to herself and shook her head. She felt like such an idiot having a conversation like this. It was as if the two were back in high school.

Watching her struggle with herself internally was cute. Bucky wanted to tell her yes, but he also wanted to pick on her for a bit.

"Do you want me to want you to mean it?"

Gwen's brows furrowed. "Are you kidding me? What are we, 12?"

Bucky laughed, but he'd also give anything to go back to being that young with her.

His elbow leaned against the center console and he rested his chin in his hand. Looking at her with a smile, he watched as she stewed in her own frustrations.

"Bucky..." She nearly whined. It embarrassed her at how childish it sounded.

Decided to take pity on her, he reached over and pulled her face close to his. Looking in her eyes as he caressed her cheek with the back of his fingers, he smiled.

"Doll?"

Placing her hand over his, she closed her eyes and leaned into his touch, "Yeah, Buck?"

"Look at me."

Gwen did as she was told and opened her eyes, looking into his. They were stunning. She'd never get bored of staring into the light blue eyes staring back at her.

"Will you be my girl?"

Gwen's eyes popped and her heart beat so loudly she could hear it. She chewed the bottom of her lip as she tried to hide her smile.

Her lip slipped free, "Yes, Bucky." She answered as a smile spread across her face.

Bucky closed the distance between them and pressed his lips against hers. Gwen's heart was so full. Her skin was peppered with goosebumps as her body tingled all over. Feeling giddy, she fought to suppress a giggle, but failed.

Breaking their kiss, Bucky looked at her amused.

"What's funny?" He grinned.

"Nothing." She shook her head with a smile. "Nothing at all." She grabbed his arm and wrapped her around it, resting her head on his shoulder.

Letting the situation sink in, he kissed the top of her head and said, "I get you call you mine."

She lifted her lead to look at him. "Bucky, I've always been yours. No one else ever stood a chance against you."

Pulling her in for another kiss, he fought back the urge to tell her he loved her. It was too soon for that. Wasn't it?

"Come on, doll. Let's get back to the compound."

Gwen resituated back in her seat, pulled the seatbelt over her, and buckled it. Their hands found each other again and intertwined.

Every so often Bucky would lift her hand to his lips and press a kiss to it. It would make her smile and giggle like a school girl.

She could believe she was finally his. The man she has been in love with, loved since she was a young child was finally hers. It only took 80 years, but she won his heart and he was never going to let it go. They would have to kill her to split them apart and she knew without a doubt in her mind that she'd lay her life down to save him at any given moment.