Fifty-Nine

"Hey," He pulled her close to him again, "What's wrong?"

"We can't be here like this." She yelled, pushing away from him again.

She made her way through the crowd of dancers, being knocked into and jarred around. Reaching the door, she opened it and began climbing the stairs. The quieter it got, the more she realized how dizzy she really was.

Reaching for the railing for support, she nearly fell backward down the steps. Behind her, strong arms caught her and held her up. Stiffening, she snapped around, throwing a punch, and kicking the person down the steps. When the person hit the floor, she realized it was Dimitri and rushed down to him.

"God, I'm so sorry."

He slowly lifted himself onto his elbows, rubbing the side of his head with one hand. One eye shut, wincing at the pain, he looked up at her and chuckled.

"Note to self, don't walk up behind Rose."

"Not funny. I'm in a place I've never been around drunk people."

Bending to help him only made her dizzier. "Oh, God." She grabbed the railing, turned herself so her back was to the wall and slid down it.

Dmitri was now fully sitting up looking at her.

"What was in those drinks?" She looked up at him with fearful eyes. "I never should have trusted anyone else to make drinks. I knew better than this. I was trained not to trust things like this."

Dmitri's expression turned from sorrow to regret.

"It's my fault. I'm the one who ordered them. What is in them seems to have hit you harder though. Come on, let's get you home."

Helping her to her feet, she held onto the railing as he held her up and walked her up the stairs.

Rose was suddenly hit with a new fear, "What if Grant's home?" She knew he would want to know where she was and who she was with. She wouldn't be able to lie and tell him the coffee shop.

"Rose, we haven't been here but an hour. It's around 9, would he be home already if he was working late?"

"No. No, you're right. Just... get me home please."

Helping her walk back to the house, he helped her inside and up the steps to hers and Grant's bedroom. Stopping at the doorway, she looked at him, still slouched over.

"What?"

"I'm sorry, it wouldn't be right of me to go in there with you."

"Really? But it was ok for you to kiss my neck?"

Dmitri rubbed the back of his neck awkwardly. "I'm sorry. It's just... the music, how close we were, feeling so free. The urge was overwhelming and it was easy to give into it."

"You promised nothing would happen." She knew she was making a big deal about it, but she should, right? She's married after all.

Then again, she can't lie and say she didn't enjoy it, because she did. She enjoyed the feeling of his body pressed against hers, the contact of his lips on her skin. She wanted more.

Looking at him as the thoughts of his lips on her skin danced in her head, she felt herself flush. Stepping back, she finally agreed.

"Maybe you're right. Stay there."

He couldn't help but grin and laugh to himself, he knew the struggle she was having at the moment, he was having the same one.

A new wave of panic shot through her as she looked down at her clothing. Eyes wide, she turned back to him, "My clothes. I can't have these here. He'll ask questions."