Chapter 3: Kale

3Kale

Mo greeted me when I entered the store at ten-till-two that afternoon and tossed a warm burrito at me from over the counter. I caught it seconds before it impacted my face and frowned at him.

"Don't give me that look. I know you haven't eaten." He scolded, and I smiled, mumbled a thanks.

Rounding the counter, he took my jaw in his hand, his eyes scrutinizing the cut in my lip and bruise on my cheek from Brad's fist.

"Those kids do that to you?" He asked, then frowned as his attention swept over my jacket. "Oh, Kale, and your new coat..."

"It's not that bad. I can fix it." I stepped away from him and disappeared into the office/break room, thankful he didn't follow me. He'd hound me about it later. He always did.

Dawn was in the office, leaning close to the mirror that hung behind the door. Her work attire lay in a crumpled pile on Mo's desk, and she was wearing a short, silky number that redefined 'little black dress'. If she bent any further, I'd see her butt.

"Hey, Kale." She smiled as she dabbed her lips with lipstick, then stood, rubbing them together as she turned to me. Her smile wilted, and she touched a hand to my cheek as I unwrapped my burrito, her eyes narrowing on me. "Honey, what happened?"

"Nothing; clumsy in gym class." I took a bite and moved away from her hand, looking her up and down. "You look like you got big plans." I said, changing the subject. "Mike finally asked you out?"

"Yes!" Dawn took a second to jump up and down before eagerly swiping me up in a hug. I grunted as she pulled me against her, doing a little jig with me in her arms before letting go. "I'm so freaking excited!"

At thirty-two years old, she and the man that lived across the hall from her had been flirting like teenagers for over a year. He always came in and leaned on the counter with a grin while she batted her eyes at him. He even sent her flowers for her birthday. Was about time they got things moving.

I took another bite of the burrito as I watched her. "I'm happy for you. Where you going?"

"I don't know. He just said to look pretty."

I smiled. "Well, you don't need much help with that."

"Awe, you are such a doll." She wrapped her arms around me again, then quickly stepped away, donned a heavy parka, swiped her purse and work clothes from the desk and started toward the door. "I'll see you later!" She called, then rushed out of the room. The jingle bells rang a second later.

I finished eating and cleaned myself up in the private bathroom as best I could, then changed out my shirt for the red one displaying the company name. Saloni washed it for me every Friday, it smelled good, and it was comfortable compared to the rest of my meager wardrobe.

Mo was still at the register when I came back in, and he smiled at me. "Bout time with Dawn and Mike, huh?"

"Yeah." I agreed, then turned at the sound of noise behind me.

There was a single customer in the store, a lady who was way too intent about the way she scooped boiled peanuts into a Styrofoam cup. Mo and I watched her with curiosity until she turned around, then put on our best professional smiles as she came and set her cup on the counter and asked for three packs of cigarettes. I could smell the tobacco smoke wafting off of her from over the counter as I grabbed her desired brand and stifled a grimace before paying her out.

"I'll never understand how people can kill themselves with that crap." Mo said once she was gone and shook his head as he picked up a box from against the wall and rounded the counter with it as I shrugged.