Chapter 20: Kale

20Kale

My first thought was of dire thirst. My mouth and throat felt like a desert, and I swallowed hard, cringing when no saliva went down. Somewhere in the background of my mind, I could hear voices, which suddenly went quiet as I groaned, my head turning slowly from side to side as I fought to wake. The blackness of the oblivion I'd slept in was holding tight, fighting to drag me back under just as hard as I was fighting to escape.

"Kale...?"

The voice was a little clearer, but it still echoed through the clouds in my head as I tried to lift my eyes open. It felt like sand had been poured over my eyelids, and I squinted before trying again. Raising my hands proved useless. They were lead weights at my sides, still succumbed to the power of whatever drug had put me under. Grimacing, I twitched my fingers, felt them slowly come alive before I was finally able to turn my wrists and make a loose fist with my hands.

"Hey, you awake?" The voice again, and I recognized it this time.

Inside I was smiling, but by the stillness on my face, I could tell my body wasn't performing the action correctly. Nonetheless, I beamed in my mind and tried again to lift my eyes. At last, they opened to reveal a room full of white-hued fluff, as though someone had stuffed cotton balls into my pupils. Blinking to expel the clouds, my eyes finally landed on her, and ever so slowly, my stone face lifted into a grin.

"K... Kazz..." I couldn't speak. The desert in my throat was a dust storm now, and I swallowed again on a grimace, fighting the urge to let my eyes fall closed again.

A moment later, a hand was at the back of my head, lifting me ever so slightly until the rim of a foam cup touched my lips, and cool water poured from it. I sucked it down as fast as I was able, and it was taken away long before I was ready. Swallowing into my newly coated throat, I blinked again, forcing the water to sober my drugged-up mind. When my eyes found her again to see her grinning down at me, I forced one hand to raise and reached for her.

She came willingly, scratching the chair along behind her as she pulled it closer to the bed. Immediately, she wrapped her arms around me, my face smashed against her chest as she clung to me. I thought I heard her softly crying, but my ears were still ringing and echoing simultaneously, drowning out the sound. Her hair didn't smell like coconuts like I was expecting. Rather, she smelled like cheap hospital soap. It wasn't bad on her. Then again, she could wear a sweaty gym sock and somehow make it attractive.

I tried to lift my arms to wrap around her, but they still felt like water-logged sandbags, and I grunted as I opened and closed my hands, felt my wrist raise an inch, then drop to the bed again.

Kazzi released me before I was ready for her to, and pulled away to reveal damp cheeks and shining eyes. She lowered into the chair beside me and took my hand, the warmth of her fingers doing wonders to ooze a little life into mine.

"I'm so happy you're awake." She breathed and lifted her other hand to wipe her eyes. "I've been so worried."

"How..." I croaked and swallowed hard.

It felt as though I hadn't spoken in days. My voice was hoarse, my throat raw, and I swallowed again as Kazzi released my hand and picked up the water pitcher from the table beside me. She refilled the foam cup, then stood again, helping to lift my head as I took a few mouthfuls of water and swallowed.

"Better?" She asked, and I nodded as I let my head drop back to the pillow.

For a long minute, I breathed deeply, surprised that my ribs didn't hurt as much, but the area just below them was really sore. Frowning, I placed a hand over it, then met Kazzi's waiting stare again.