Chapter 9: Kazzi

9 Kazzi

I spent an hour crying for no good reason whatsoever. Though he seemed like he'd just been looking for a chance to argue so he could run back to the familiarity of the life he knew, Kale was right in what he'd said. Despite the hundreds of patients I'd had over the years, I could never and would never understand what it was like to live in their shoes. And to be honest, I had never tried to. I helped them because, regardless of what Kale's assumptions were, I did care. I cared about all of them. But it was my care and worry for Kale that also made me suspicious.

Somebody had made Kale sick, and to know that he was out there, surrounding himself with the lifestyle that had put him in that situation, made me nauseous with worry. I wasn't lying when I said that he was taking everything the wrong way, he was, but neither should I have said what I had. I was coming down from panic, I was scared, nervous, a little angry, and I blurted something I otherwise would never have said. Of course he would be offended by it, but with both of us focusing on our own emotions and opinions, it was hard to see things rationally. I hoped Kale realized that at some point.

I called into work and took the rest of the week off, divided my patient meetings for the next five days between the three other therapists in my office. My boss wasn't thrilled but considering I had at least three years' worth of unused vacation time stacked up, he couldn't complain, and really, he was too gentle of a soul to ream me when he knew who it was I was taking care of.

Word traveled fast when Kassandra, the girl who usually didn't even call out for the flu, suddenly began missing days. I thanked God that I worked with such amazing people who, not only understood but had my back through it all, especially when I told my boss about mine and Kale's argument. He'd wished me luck.

Kale still hadn't come home by nightfall, which did nothing for my nerves. I worried if he'd eaten, if he'd taken his medicine, if he was safe. Outside, thunder was rolling over the house. Frowning, I stepped out onto the stoop and watched as lightning ripped apart the sky, praying that I'd see Kale making his way down the street any minute. But he never came.

True to my word, though, I left the front door unlocked for him and a plate of the chicken alfredo I'd made for dinner on the kitchen counter. It took me a long time to fall asleep.

I woke to the sound of the front door opening and closing sometime later and breathed out a sigh of relief when I heard footsteps moving down the hall. They were followed by the sound of choking, however, and I bolted upright in bed, foregoing my robe as I left my room.

The bathroom door was cracked, the light on to shine out into the hallway. The choking sounds were coming from inside, and I frowned as I pushed the door open to see Kale crouched over the toilet, getting sick. He was soaking wet, and outside, I could hear the downpour of rain beating the roof.

Without a word, I went to him, sat on the edge of the tub, and gently rubbed his back. His shoulders tightened beneath my fingers, and I winced as he coughed heavily, knowing how badly it had to hurt as he vomited. When he was finished, he braced his arm against the toilet seat and rested his forehead against it, eyes closed as he gasped for breath.

"Are you okay?" I asked him, and without looking at me, he shook his head.

"I don't feel good."

"Did you take your pills?"

He nodded.

"They make you nauseous remember? You need to take them with food."

I watched as he swallowed hard, then stooped his head back over the toilet to gag and spit before gasping again. He still didn't look at me. "I'm sorry... about earlier." He croaked, and with a frown, I stood.