Chapter 4: Kazzi

4 Kazzi

I was pissed. As if yesterday's events weren't bad enough, or getting my period at three a.m., there was a business envelope on the kitchen counter with my name on it when I came downstairs in the morning. That could only mean one thing. Suppressing a groan, I dumped my backpack on the floor and tore open the letter, grinding my teeth as I read the note, hastily written in my Mom's cursive.

Kazzi,

Dad and I need some alone time out of the cold. We'll be in Cancun through Monday. There's cash for food and emergencies. Call if you need anything and please stay out of trouble.

Kisses,

Mom

Dropping the note on the counter, I peeked back into the envelope, pulled out the wad of cash, and counted three hundred dollars in twenties. Yippee for me...

My mood for the day ruined, I pocketed the dough, yanked up my bag, and stepped out into the early morning sun. It had broken through the clouds just enough to offer light, but not enough to melt the snow, and looking up, it appeared more snow was on the way. Seemed like it was always snowing. Soon as winter hit, we were covered in a constant blanket of white and I hated it. I hated the wet, I hated the way it soaked through everything, I hated walking a mile through it to school while my stupid car was out. I just hated winter altogether. Then again, there wasn't much that I didn't hate anymore, and the fact that it was a school day didn't help that bleak outlook.

At least it was Thursday, which meant there was only one more full day after this till the weekend. I could look forward to that. As for the day ahead, there was bound to be a showdown at school. After what had happened at the Punjab store, and the cops showing up at Brad's place, where we'd all gone afterward, Kale was bound to get his butt kicked. I almost felt bad for the kid, but I wasn't about to stick my neck out for him. Far as I was concerned, it wasn't my problem. So, I did my best to put it out of my mind and trudged onward.

I was early enough to school to still have forty minutes to hang out and chill, like always. I could see my friends already there as I made my way across the yard and took a sweep of the area for Kale. He hadn't shown up yet, and I almost hoped he wouldn't, or Brad was bound to get us suspended by beating him up.

My friends were gathered in what we called The Pit. It was little more than a half-square cut-out in the architecture, off to the left of the front doors. Originally intended to be an SRO golf cart parking area, it was an eyesore on the building, but it made mornings a little more private. It was our spot, and everyone knew it.

"Babes! It's about time you showed up!"

I rolled my eyes as Lisa came jogging to meet me halfway, then wound her arm around mine to walk me back. I wasn't in the mood to deal with her. Or anyone.

Though Lisa was technically considered my best friend, despite having my little posse of jerks to hang around with, in all honesty, I didn't consider myself particularly close to any of them. They were mean and I was cold, and they knew it, but for some reason, they hung around me, so I dealt with them for lack of anyone else.

"Look what the cat dragged in." Brad, stereotypical football star and all-around dickhead offered a megawatt grin as Lisa guided me into the Pit.

I flipped him off and slunk against the wall as I stared at him. As of the night before, he was officially on probation, with a nice, new ankle bracelet to show for it. Would have been a lot worse if his filthy rich Dad hadn't paid everyone off to avoid jail time that would mar his spotless family name. There had to be at least ten laws broken in there somewhere, but money knew no justice, apparently. His old man owned half of downtown with the mayor in his back pocket. They couldn't be touched.