1| Regrets And Shameless Set Ups

"Claws in." Adrien jumped through the window, landing perfectly on his feet. His costume vanished, and he stared down at the floor, choked with despair. His focus was no longer present, it was thrown off balance. All because of a lady he didn't even know.

"You never seem to give up." Plagg shook his head, disappointed with his holder's undying love. He reached out to a triangle of camembert with his tiny arms, tossed it up in the air before it fell straight into his mouth. "I warned you so many times but you didn't listen."

"How could I, Plagg?" He frowned at his kwami, his tone thick with tears. "I love her."

"You don't even know what love is. For all I know, you're completely blind when it comes to that one girl. Marinette, huh?" He crossed his arms, his head raised high.

"What does Marinette even have to do with this?"

"I don't know, you tell me." With that, he flew away to savor even more cheese, leaving behind a confused and a very drained Adrien.

At Marinette Dupain-Cheng's bakery, the girl climbed into her room, careful not to make a sound. "Spots off." Her kwami floated to rest atop her open palms.

"Don't you think you were a little harsh with Chat Noir?" Tikki asked, accepting the dotted macaron her owner gave her.

"Oh, Tikki. He has to learn to stop being such a flirt." Her anger seethed at the memory of their fight today. "Cause of his distractions, I always tend to lose my cool. He could've gotten badly hurt."

Marinette couldn't imagine what would've happened if Chat had fallen victim to the villain. She didn't want to think of losing him, even if she had the ability to bring him back by the end, she couldn't accept that dreadful scenario. The more she visualized it, the more her anxiety grew, and she found herself pressing her hand to the top of her head. Her fingers tightened around the strands of her hair, and she tugged at it ever so slightly.

"You're upset because you couldn't stand the fact that at any given moment, he would've disappeared." Tikkin flew closer to Marinette's face and placed a light kiss to the tip of her nose. "You should apologize. And clarify to him that you were only afraid. He doesn't deserve to be left in the dark."

The girl gave a short sigh. "You're right. Next time I'll be sure to make up."

Tikki smiled. "You should probably go to bed. It's getting late and you have school tomorrow."

Marinette nodded, exerting great effort just to get into her pyjamas and slip beneath the sheets of her bed. The last thing on her mind was how sorry she felt that she'd acted that way towards Chat Noir. Remorse was eating away at her, and the guilt surely burdened her shoulders.

The next morning at Dupont high school, Marinette zoned out during class. She had a restless sleep, nightmares of Chat Blanc making a return her only visitors. To say that she was worn out would be an understatement. Even when Adrien sent a saddened smile in her direction, she didn't react. Normally, she would've hidden behind Alya, or gone absolutely crazy with embarrassment. But today, she only averted her gaze.

"Girl, you totally just missed out on the entire lesson." Alya nudged her, packing up her bag. Marinette's eyes widened, as the realization that class has ended dawned upon her, and she rushed to stuff her notebook in her backpack.

"I didn't mean to. There was so much on my mind-"

"I think I have the perfect person to catch you up." Her best friend wiggled her eyebrows and pointed at Adrien, who still remained motionless in his seat.

"What? You're crazy-"

Completely ignoring Marinette's freaking out session, Alya headed towards him. "Hey, Adrien." She leaned against his table. "Do you think you could help a friend out?"

"Of course! I think I'm free today," he replied, his eyes, as if on instinct, falling over the bluenette standing far behind, giving an awkward wave.

"Well, Marinette here," Alya yanked her forward, and she stumbled into her arms before she steadied herself, "hasn't really gotten the point of the lesson. Could you maybe... I don't know, go to her place and explain it to her?"

"I'll check with my father." He rubbed the back of his neck. "But I really don't mind."

"Awesome!" Dragging her friend after her, Alya called out to him one last time. "See ya."