14| What If's

Days passed by, and Chat Noir has finally made his first appearance since that promise. He slipped through her trap-door and landed softly upon her sheets. "Hey there, my princess." He smirked, leaning his face closer to hers.

"Took you long enough." She rolled her eyes, crossing her arms.

"Meow..." His clawed fingers trailed their way around her waist. "Didn't know you missed me so much." He drew her into him, and against his firm chest. Marinette slightly flinched at his touch and he sighed, returning to the topic at hand. "I'm really sorry. I couldn't find the time, everything was so hectic."

He pulled away, and Marinette found herself yearning for his warmth once more. Chat Noir skillfully hopped off the railing of her bed, falling to his feet with a thud against her hardwood floor. His gaze, as if on instinct, darted to his photos hung upon her walls. He hadn't noticed it before, but hearts were drawn all over the pictures, and the beat of his own quickened. "Marinette?"

"Hm?" She laid on her stomach and looked down at him, a glint of confidence shimmering in her beautiful eyes.

"I never really asked you but... why do you have so many pics of this model dude?" He didn't want to intrude, or cross her boundaries in any way. But something about it intrigued him. It peaked his curiosity to a massive extent.

"I told you a few days ago, haven't I?" Her voice was sweet; gentle. It harbored a delicate tone that was as delightful as her macarons. A tone that left him feeling a little different.

"I don't think so. Maybe not directly."

Her body was overtaken by impulse, and decided to act on its own. Her arm stretched out to reach the crown of his head. "He's the boy I like." Before her fingertips could brush through his unruly hair, his head snapped to look up at her in a swift movement that had her jolt away.

"You like... him?" He frowned, flooded with disbelief.

"What's wrong about him?" She returned his gesture, sitting up. Against her will, she took defense, and almost immediately, felt remorseful at the hostility of her words.

"Nothing, it's just—why? Why didn't you tell him? That could've changed so many things, Marinette."

"Why does it sound like you're blaming me? I was scared he'd reject me, okay? I wouldn't know what to do with myself if he did."

"But why do you just go and assume he would? Because... what if he..." He trailed off, averting his gaze from the intensity of hers.

He'd always thought she hated him. Or that she simply disliked his presence. Because whenever he was around, she'd stutter, flail her arms in awkward motions, and blurt out absolute nonsense. But now he knew why. She was simply nervous.

Plagg's implications, too, made him finally piece everything together. He was so blinded by his longing for the dotted heroine that he failed to understand exactly how much Marinette meant to him. And how much he meant to Marinette.

Now, he knew she liked him as Adrien Agreste. And it veiled him with an unexplainable sense of relief. Nonetheless, he hoped she'd like him as Chat Noir too. But why would he continue to pursue her as Chat when he can have her as Adrien? It'll be easier for the both of them that way.

"What if he what?" Marinette snapped him out of his trance, and he glanced back up at her.

"What if things go how you want them to? Why don't you confess and be honest with him?"

"No, Chat! That's impossible, I know he'll reject me. I'll be humiliated and—"

"Mari..." A softened smile graced his sympathetic face. "I can assure you he won't. Just be a little more confident with him. Because you're amazing, princess. And he'd be lucky to have you."