5| Betrayals And Empty Explanations

Ladybug had safely gotten the boy back to his family. She and Chat had agreed to feed their kwamis, then meet up at the top of the Eiffel tower.

He has already arrived, pacing back and forth with all sorts of scenarios running through his mind. He couldn't understand why he, of all things, was her nightmare.

Deep in thoughts, he felt her land beside him, her head down. She was unable to meet his questioning gaze, no matter how much he begged her to look at him.

"Before I explain, I need to tell you two things," she said. "One, I'm really sorry, kitty. For being harsh on you the other day. I was just terrified of having to lose you." She squeezed her eyes shut, the image of him vanishing away with the breeze returning to haunt her. "And I deeply apologize for keeping secrets..."

He nodded. That bit he understood, but what else did she want him to know? "And two?"

"Nobody could know. What I tell you should remain between us. Only the two of us." And with that, the heroes sat by the edge, and she broke down. Ladybug told him everything. From the moment Bunnix dragged her to the alternative world, to the last hug they shared before she went back to fix her mistake. Of course, she didn't tell him what mistake she'd made, or clarified what exactly had him akumatized, cause she herself didn't know. But she did mention that he knew her real identity. "I remember one thing though..."

"That is?" Chat was way past shocked. He didn't know how to react. He felt all kinds of emotions boiling inside of him. From anger, to sadness, to feeling betrayed. But most importantly, he felt like he wasn't worthy of her trust. He always felt left out. Surely, they were a team. But she seemed to appreciate her newer team much more than his company.

"You said that our love was what destroyed the world."

He gave a sly grin. "Oh, so we did fall in love?"

"I'm not kidding, Chat Noir! That's why I keep telling you we can't know anything about each other."

A sigh passed his lips, and he found himself staring ahead at the city beneath their dangled legs, sulking. "Why didn't you tell me about it sooner? That day, you called me, Ladybug. We met right after. Why didn't you think of telling me at that time?"

"I... I was afraid, Chat."

"Of what? Me getting akumatized?" He laughed, hoping none of what she'd said held meaning. He couldn't help it... Was she afraid for him, or of him? 

"Yes, what do you think?" She, too, was getting agitated. He wasn't taking her seriously at all. And even if he did, he failed to show it. The one thing she could make out was his silent anger increasing by the second.

"You know what I think, Ladybug?" He hoisted himself up to his feet. Chat elongated his staff till it hit the ground and leant forward against it.

"Chat..." She frowned. He kept calling her Ladybug. No Bugaboo, no m'lady. It hurt knowing she was the one behind his change of attitude.

"I think you and I need some time apart. I understand your reasoning, I really do. And I don't blame you for it. But you have to understand my concern too."

A knot formed at the back of her throat. She could feel it throbbing, thick with tears soon to come. "I get it, kitty. I hope you can forgive me."

He hummed, releasing a heavy breath. "I'm gonna... go." Walking away, he turned to her one last time. "Oh, and Bugaboo?"

She perked up at the nickname, getting off the edge herself to meet his eyes.

"I hope you know that... even if I was akumatized, I'd rather cataclysm myself than hurt you."