6| Silent Rides And Determination

All day long, Adrien was a walking dead. He barely made conversation with Nino, nor did he dare look anyone in the eye. His shoulders were heavy, worn down by the crushing weight of his insecurities.

Nobody cared about him. Not his father, not his friends, and most importantly, not his lady. Even as a superhero, they all cared about Ladybug, Rena, and Carapace. Chat Noir went forgotten.

"Might I remind you that last time, your nightmare was Ladybug telling you she hates you? I'm sure hers makes way more sense." Plagg crossed his arms, defending Tikki's holder.

"I don't want to hear this, Plagg," Adrien groaned, slamming his locker shut as the kwami slid into his jacket.

He had just finished fencing class, and everyone was heading home, including those who stayed back for art class. He waved at Rose and watched Marinette walk out behind her.

She didn't seem any better than him. Her eyes were puffy, and she'd dozed off in class for three periods in a row. Which was so unlike her.

"Hey, Marinette." He smiled. "Do you need a ride?" He knew she went from home to school and back, on foot. And seeing how tired she was, he couldn't find it in him to leave while she struggled with his same circumstances, and clearly felt just as terrible as him.

Before she could open her mouth to give an answer, Alix shoved her into him. "Hell yeah, she does. Bye guys!" And she strolled away, wearing a proud expression.

Adrien had caught Marinette, his hands on each side of her hips, while hers rested upon his chest. It took them a while to snap out of their trance, and they pulled away, beet red.

"Awesome, come on then." He gestured for her to follow him, and when she did, he decelerated his pace so they'd be beside one another.

He opened the car door to allow her in, and he too slipped in the seat. Their hands grazed each other in the process, and both gave a nervous chuckle.

Silence settled over the car, and a few seconds went by without a sound. He felt compelled to make small talk, because he didn't want things to be awkward with her. Especially now that she slowly started opening up to him instead of running away. "So... You seem down."

"Uh, yeah. I've been having some... relationship problems." She rubbed the back of her neck, shrinking into herself.

"Relationship?" His head has never whipped her way so quick. "I didn't know you were-"

"Friendship! I meant, friendship. Would you look at that, I'm home." She giggled, pushing the door open as the car came to a stop. She silently thanked the Heavens that the bakery was just across the street from Françoise Dupont. "Thank you, Adrien, bye." She called out, running for the hills.

Marinette was so fragile and vulnerable, he could tell. The thought alone had his heart wrench for her. And he made it a point to try his best and keep her from being that way. Even if that meant he'd visit her as Chat Noir. Maybe then... They both wouldn't be so lonely.