WISH YOU WERE HERE WITH US

I've known all my life that I wanted to do something with my life, but looking around at everyone in the office, I knew I'd never do more than work a typical 9-5 job. I'm currently sitting at my desk looking through my Instagram and noticing that all my friends whom I've known since I was basically a baby were living it up in Cancun with cocktails in hand without me. Don't get me wrong, they have been sending messages telling me 'WISH YOU WERE HERE WITH US' and 'YOU'D LOVE IT HERE ABBY', yet I couldn't bring myself to leave my dad, who was still grieving over my mom's death.

I knew life was tough when you lost the love of your life. Even though I haven't been through it personally, watching my dad go through it was enough. That is why I am a single 30 year old with no kids and a shit ton of issues.

When Sarah and Jess were gone, I missed them terribly, and knowing they'd be returning in two days made me happy. I quickly glanced at my desk clock and saw that it was 4:59PM, so I began packing up my belongings and preparing to leave the workplace for the day. I said my goodbyes to a few of my co-workers and walked out the door to my car.

When I finally arrived home, I saw my dad sitting on the couch dressed rather smartly and I was dumbfounded. I had no idea what I walked into as there was a woman sitting across from him and my heart sank. Had my dad moved on without telling me? Were they going on a date? My brain is doing overtime right now. When my dad finally spoke, he introduced the woman as a lawyer who had come to speak about my mother's will. My mother, who had been gone for just over a year by the way, and this was just popping up out of the wood work. I had no idea my mom had a will or anything worth putting in a will. More to the point, this confused the life out of me.

The woman had now left after speaking to me and my dad for roughly an hour discussing what would happen now that we knew about the will and that she would have to get in contact with the uncles to discuss the contents of the will and who got what. My dad sat me down after seeing the woman off and he let out a deep sigh, sounding almost exhausted. "Well, we can both say that we never expected that right?" I nodded with a faint smile and proceeded to make dinner for both of us.

Dinner was deafening, to say the least, because neither of us said anything about what had happened since I returned home. When I finally asked, 'What do you think is in the will?' my father had cleared the plates and was washing up. My dad turned to me, tears in his eyes, and began crying while trying to talk at the same time, making my heart skip a beat. Seeing the sadness spread across his face was like witnessing her death all over again. He was heartbroken for the second time after a year of growing used to her not returning home, seeing him smile at him again, or even seeing a note with 'I LOVE YOU xx' written on it.

We finally got to talking after he had calmed down and he said, "I have no idea what she could have in the will. Your mother never told me she had anything worth giving, especially to your uncles." I guess we will see what happens on Monday when we meet the lawyer again. " He kept talking a bit more with me and reminiscing about their life together before me and when I was a baby. He seemed so damn happy. It made me smile so much that I forgot the pain he was in mere moments ago. After all the talking was over, I decided it was time for me to turn in "Goodnight dad. See you in the morning " "Goodnight sweetheart. I love you " "I love you too". When I reached my room, I sighed looking at a picture of me and my mom at my high school graduation and I could feel a smile on my face as I could see how happy we were that day. After a quick shower, I felt much better and jumped into bed and was back on Instagram again, checking Instastories again to see the chaos my friends were causing in Mexico. "I miss you guys so damn much," I said quietly and put my phone away and dozed off to sleep.