New York New York

It was Thursday night and I was getting up early tomorrow as we were heading to New York, and to say I was excited was the understatement of the century. I texted Chris to see if he was ready, as he had a tendency to do everything at the last minute. 'Hey, are you all set for tomorrow?' I set my phone aside to keep packing. I headed into my bathroom and started packing my toiletries into my toiletries bag. My phone started to ring in the bedroom. I ran to grab it and saw it was Chris calling. My heart sank thinking he was cancelling on me. "Hey Abby" I tried to speak but the fear hit me and all he had said was "Hey". I felt so stupid. "Just so you know, I'm packed already, but I think I may have forgotten something." He chuckled to himself and I sighed with relief. "OMG, I thought you were calling to cancel the trip." I said as I tried to relax my breathing to calm myself down. "You OK Abby? I can hear you breathing on the phone. Did you really think I'd cancel on you of all people? " I couldn't think of anything else to say except, "Well, you are a busy guy, Chris. Anything could've happened, but I'm glad you didn't. " I smiled knowing he couldn't see me. "Abby, I could never cancel on New York. I've always wanted to go there. You know that your coming is just a great add on, "he said sarcastically. I scoffed and replied, "Well, you can't do that in New York. They would never forgive you, would they? " We both laughed it off. "I can't believe you think I'd cancel on you. I'd at least take you to dinner and break it to you as an apology." I giggled at the thought of him turning up at my door with a suit on, a bouquet of roses or something and then taking me to a fancy dinner to say sorry he couldn't go. "Well that's true, you were never one for simple apologies even when we were at school." Chris sighed "Yeah but you would never change me would you?" I stayed silent for a while, building the suspense "Of course I...........wouldn't" relief I think is what I would say. Chris had felt at that moment, "I'll get you back for that. You know, we have a whole week together for me to get my revenge on you." We laughed, but I knew he would get me back for my bad joke. "Yeah yeah, so you say. Anyway, I'm just double checking what I have packed and then heading to bed. How do you want to get to the airport tomorrow? I could ask my dad to drive us in if you want. " I decided to go big or go home with my cheeky comment at the start, but before I could say anything else, "Don't worry about getting to the airport. All of that has been taken care of. I'll see you in the morning, Abby. I Love you" ''Love you too Chris, see you tomorrow" I said back to them. You'd think we were a couple, and a lot of people were shocked that it hadn't happened yet, but there was never really time for us to start anything with Chris taking over the family business and everything, but we stayed best friends as we didn't want to lose each other.

On Friday morning, at 8am, my alarm was ringing in my ears, literally as it was right under my pillow where I was sleeping. I showered and got dressed and headed downstairs where, to my surprise, Chris was in the living room already with dad having a conversation about our trip. "Morning all," I said as the two of them turned around to see me standing ready to go to the airport. "Good morning sweetheart" my dad asked. Yeah, it's perfect. I didn't want to tell them that my whole body was actually buzzing with excitement about today. "Morning Abby" Chris said with the biggest grin ever. Come to think about it, the last time I saw a grin that big on him was on our graduation day.

Chris had already put my stuff in the car that was sitting outside, which, to my surprise, had a driver in it waiting patiently for us to get in to leave. I told my dad goodbye and hugged him and he stood on the porch waving at us as we drove off towards the airport. Our flight wasn't until 12:20pm. By the time we got there, we had over two hours to do whatever we wanted. As we had skipped breakfast, we decided to grab something to eat from The Great American Bagel-Panini, so we had some kind of energy that wasn't coming from the excitement we both had. Once we had our food, we headed to our gate. We had also grabbed a Starbucks, so we were caffeinated. We sat as far away from other passengers while we were waiting. We may be in our 30's but we were still children at heart, so we sat playing eye spy with each other until they announced that our flight was now boarding first class passengers. That was us, as I had decided to be a little extra on this trip and Chris wasn't opposed to it one bit. We got on the plane and got seated. I had kept my phone in my pocket and texted my dad a picture of us on the plane and also said that we were safe and that I would text him when we landed.

When we touched down at JFK, it was nearly 4pm and all I could think of was food, and I'm pretty sure I wasn't the only one at this point. We had departed the flight and got our bags and to my surprise, there was a gentleman standing with our names on a bit of paper and Chris came up behind me and whispered "Only the best for you, ya know" and I smiled. This trip was so damn good and it had literally just started, but I couldn't shake this feeling that something else was going to happen before we got to the hotel, as Chris had booked it and I knew nothing. The joy of sharing planning duties I guess.

We drove about 40 minutes to the hotel and I can say I didn't expect what I saw. This hotel was huge. The Hyatt Centric in Times Square, which has 54 floors, I was in awe, to put it politely. We walked in and Chris went to the reception to check us in, and I waited with the bags, just taking everything in. Chris came back over with a chuckle in his voice, "So here's the thing: I don't usually book hotels and I kind of fucked up a little and got us one room." My eyes went wide in shock at his confession, "With one bed?" I asked "No, the receptionist told me it's the 2 Queen Beds City View room. We have two beds in one room basically. Now I can ask for another room, but they may put it on another floor or some... " Before he could finish, I cut him off. "Chris, it's fine. I don't mind sharing with you. I mean, we are in New York, where we both want to be right now. The fact that we have to share a room is fine. However, if it had been one bed, then there would have been an issue. Last time we shared a bed, you stole all the covers. "We both laughed it off and headed off to the elevator to our hotel room so we could finally relax and shower before thinking about dinner for the two of us.